Patio edging construction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm (still) currently in the process of building a patio area and coming to the end of the excavation. I have a bedding area around the patio of about 800mm deep which will be planted with plants eventually. I want to maximise the space for plants so don't want the subbase to got too far into it. When initially designing the patio I had in mind design 1 in the picture. I was just going to excavate, put the subbase down and then put the mortar and slabs on top, all in line. After consideration I think the edges might be susceptible to moving as the subase will only be constrained by top soil. A way around this would be to go to option 2 by extending the subbase. I suppose a more belt and braces solution would be to put some concrete edging blocks to constrain the subbase and not allow it migrate etc. This is shown in option 3.

What are peoples thoughts of the most suitable solution bearing in mind that I don't want to eat too much into the planting bed?

Many thanks,Attach files

Ed

1678477310512.png

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back