Patio Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a long narrow (about 5m x 30m) patio!

It's very boring :)

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I might do with it - rather than just putting a few pots here and there!

Simon

Sponsored Links
Thermo said:
a picture would help no end!

This is the view from the upstairs bedroom window.

garden.jpg

your right it is a boring patio

why not put up some type of screen in front of the rear building, say willow.

Take a few of the slabs up and replace with gravel, paint the fence a lovely shade of .............

Sponsored Links
or take some slabs up, and turn them into some planters with a decent edging. Paint the fence a light colour to give the effect of pushing it out. Some trellis on it would break it up
get rid of the gravel and go for either planted beds or a more intresting decorative stone. you could take some slabs out ther to give a pathway feel down the middle and use the edges as beds.
get rid of the concrete edging around the planted bed, decorative mulch on it.
climbers on the fence and the rear building
some decent seating at the far end to break it up a bit
Anything really but some colour and plants would make a world of difference. So would cleaning the patio as well.
Few ideas hope it helps!

Maybe a timber log cladding on the front of the brick building and change the window & door to a georgian type which will make it feel homey.

This must have been someones idea of heaven!

I wonder why?

Perhaps it's a rented property? If so stick to the pots as you can take them with you.

If not, if it's your own, try taking up a section of paving and replacing it with an area of more decorative paving. Brick or oak sets. Play with patterns before setting in place. In can be great fun. If you make this big enough you could use this area for a centre piece seating patio.

I like the face of the out house, I wouldn't hide it but make it a feature. Try a few bits of narrow trellis each side of the door and window and grow virgina creeper up it. It'll look fab in the autumn.

How about using a trellis 'arch' to break up the garden into two rooms? You could use a quick growing climber eg Russian Vine to cover it.

Think about which bit of the garden gets the sun :cool: - and position some chairs and a table there together with sun loving plants such as herbs in pots. Bush tomatoes also grow well in pots and taste great!

I like the ideas of taking out random paving slabs and planting in these spaces - herbaceous perennials such as Lady's Mantle grow quickly and look great flopping onto hard paved areas.

Good luck

SB

would defiantely make a feature of the out house, a pit of paint on the door, perhaps anew window, a few pot plants around there, some gowth up a trelis around the door..... you could almost be in Italy!

Thanks folks - it's like having Charlie Dimmock on tap!

I like the idea of lifting some flags and doing something there - and also getting some pots in.

I'm also going to try and sort some trellis out - particularly for the out house.

I promise to talk another pic when it's done and show you all my work!

Thanks!

Simon

______________________--

post now locked

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back