Patio lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please Help!

I am thinking of putting 2 x 240 volt lights on my patio and I will be getting the 240volt power I need by drilling through the wall and tapping off a 240 volt socket.

I am not too sure if this is within the building regs and would it be completely safe?A friend told me I should be using a transformer and all lights outside should be low voltage. Is this true? :confused:

Sponsored Links
no it isn't. however, part p of the building regs means installing electrical accesories outside is now notifiable to your local building control, subject to a fee and testing the work completed. you will probably be better off asking an electrician to do this work.

What you need to do is have a fused spur off a socket inside, and run the appropriate type of cable to the lights outside. will they be on the patio (underground cable), or on a wall?

The lights are on the patio on each corner so I will have 2x 60Watt lights off one spur. So they will be under ground cable.

I have recently tapped off another spur and put underground cable to a garden shed. So that I have power in the shed. I suppose that will be under the same regulations.

If I If I rewired them and put plugs on the cable for the patio lights and cable for the power in the shed would that be okay? Would that be then classified as extension cables?

Thanks crafty. :oops:

afraid not, its still fixed wiring, therefore comes under part p (came into effect Jan 06). The cable to the shed should also be fused at 13A in the house.

Did you use armoured cable? This will also be needed for the lights.

Sponsored Links
Yes it is armoured ... phew... at least I have done something right.
I will get on to the local building control and do the right thing ... cheers crafty much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back