Patio on sloped garden (left to right)

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi all.

I'm looking for some help with a patio I'm installing at home across the width of my back garden. The garden slopes from left to right so from about halfway across I'll be coming above ground. For this reason i will need some way to retain the hardcore and sand to stop it spilling out.
I dont want to put in a wall as i only need a few inches so I'm thinking of making a frame and pouring some concrete. Is this too drastic? Or could i just add some soil at the front and pack it down? Any advice would be great.

Also. I'm putting concrete flags on sand base will a 100mm border of sett. I will need to haunch the setts in place. Whats the best approach for this?

B

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You could drive in stakes and build a formwork timber frame into which you pour the concrete, then remove once the concrete has cured. However, if the base is exposed and above ground the finished article wont look very pretty. I'd consider digging deeper around the perimeter and setting slabs on their sides into concrete - like in this link: https://www.pavingexpert.com/featur06
The PavingExpert website should answer all your questions on laying slabs. Good luck

Thanks a mill. I'm going to try pack the hardcore well enough that i dont need to retain it for patio install. Then once i have the edge pieces in place I'll haunch in concrete.

B

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back