Patio over garage . . . tiles leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm not sure if this should go in here or in 'tiles'

I have a garage attached to the house and the roof is used as a terrace with access from an upstairs bedroom. The garage foundations slipped (Oh, don't ask!!!) and some of the grouting between the tiles opened up and split the seal underneath resulting in water pouring into the garage every time it rains. The foundations have now been pinned and tested as stable.

I have dug out the grouting/concrete between the tiles that appear affected. I am hoping that I can pour some concrete/grout/mix into the gaps and thus seal the roof.

This could well be naive - I am a real DIY peasant but I really am trying not to lift and discard 10M2 of tiles before resealing and relaying with all the cost, time and effort involved.

If this is a viable solution then what sort of mix should I be sealing the gaps with?

Hope someone can help

PD

Sponsored Links
I would expect that the tiles where laid on some form of membrain/rooffelt afair and it is this that is intened to provide the weather proofing rather than the tiles themselves, which are there to look nice and protect the roofing. I could be wrong, buts thats what I would expect.

At which point it depends how nice the garage roof is, how dry you need it to be inside, and what the cost of a proper repair is.

My gutt feeling is to sort it out properly before it all get wet and ruined,k but it might be that bodging would provide a good enough job and get another year or two out of it without making a proper repair in due coarse more.

Daniel

Thanks, I really can't rip out and re-tile at the moment so I am hoping for a fix even if temporary. I'm still wondering what material/ratios to use if anyone can help!

I would expect that the tiles where laid on some form of membrain/rooffelt afair and it is this that is intened to provide the weather proofing rather than the tiles themselves, which are there to look nice and protect the roofing. I could be wrong, buts thats what I would expect.

At which point it depends how nice the garage roof is, how dry you need it to be inside, and what the cost of a proper repair is.

My gutt feeling is to sort it out properly before it all get wet and ruined,k but it might be that bodging would provide a good enough job and get another year or two out of it without making a proper repair in due coarse more.

Daniel

Thanks,

As I said, with the best will in the world I'll have to bodge this. I was just hoping that someone could help with what the best material to put down the gaps for the best bodge :)

. . . thanks anyway.

P

pc.gif
:)

Sponsored Links
As I said, with the best will in the world I'll have to bodge this. I was just hoping that someone could help with what the best material to put down the gaps for the best bodge :)
Proberbly something flexable and thin, that you can trickle in before it goes off, but then remains flexable so it doesnt crack when the tiles/roof move a bit.

Could proberbly do worse than hot tar, but its not overly DIYable for a small job (you need some tar, heating pot, etc) but you could. Else maybe buy a tube of polyurthane sealant and see what happens.

Do you care about what the patio looks like? An over-winter solution might be to just tarp over the lot. One of our landlords at uni did that, £30 of heavy duty polythane sheet, secured round the edges, with some pallets ontop to prevent flapping!

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back