Patio Re-pointing

Bon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello chaps.

Now that the nice(r) weather is upon us my attentions have been moved outside.

We have a 5-ish year old Indian sandstone patio that has a step up to the house due to the garden slope and the flags are starting to wobble and the pointing is failing. It's about 25 square-metres.

image.jpeg

The plan thus far is to chisel/grind out all of the existing mortar and re-point but the question is with what? I'm fairly certain that I don't want a dry mix as the flags come up really nicely when blasted with the pressure washer. I also don't think that various wet mix slurry types are any good for my application due to the pointing needed in the step/haunching.

So, I think I'm limited to a wet sand/cement mortar unless anyone can suggest anything else?

My Questions are;

What's the best sand:cement:water ratio?
Do I use a trowel or mastic gun?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I have looked at that site before but find that there is so much information on there it is very hard to come to a conclusion as to what suits my application best!

There is zero point in repointing flags that are moving. The pointing will quickly fail again. You will need to re-lay any moving flags and then repoint.

Don't discount a slurry type product pretty much all of them can be used on steps/ uprights. You just need to let them go off a bit and then iron them in firmly or apply them dryish as needed (depends on the exact product)

25m is about doable with a pointing gun if you are patient. A semi dry mix will also work but be more laborious, if its not ironed in firmly it will not give as strong a joint either.

If money is very tight go for semi-dry mortar. Or buy a pointing gun and do that method.

If you have a few more pounds to spend then use marshalls weatherpoint 365 or similar polymeric

If you have lots of pounds to spend the top of the range are 2 part resin based mortars.

Personally I believe the resin or wet mortar through a pointing gun will be strongest and last longest.

If you are in anyway unsure about the patios long term stability then go for something cheaper.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I should have added that I'll re-bed any loose flags before pointing.

Looks like I should re-evaluate the slurry products then!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back