Pattern concrete drive shattered areas - how to fix?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After last winter, there's several areas on the surface of the driveway that's shattered. About 90% of the rest of the driveway is in perfect nick.

I'm a bit stumped as to what to do - I've had some guys say I should have the area where there's been damage replaced (i.e. cut out and reconcreted and imprinted) or the other option is just do a patch up job on the shattered areas.

Any advice on what to do? I'm having trouble finding people with experience with these driveways.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Unlike block paving or even plain tarmac, printed concrete does not lend itself well to patching, particularly by anyone without access to the prints or the dye.

You take a risk with a product like this and should be made aware of the practicalities of such a product, particularly where maintenance or utilities work may need to be carried out.

Have you spoken tom the original contractors?

Yes I have spoken to a few.

The original contractor said a section would need to be taken out and completely redone.

Another one said they could try patching it up (for considerably less money). I'm thinking replacing it might just be the best option.

But has the drive shattered because of a a fault or because of fair usage ? How old is it ?

Sponsored Links
I think it's about 2 years old. It appears to have shattered after the extremely bad winter we had last year.

The only reason I can think of, is that the previous owners of the house re-sealed it themselves and possibly got some moisture trapped between the sealant and the concrete. It's not the whole concrete that's shattered, just the imprinted pattern on the surface so it looks quite messy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back