Patterson SL15 short cycling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am hoping someone out there can offer some advice. For 6 months our Potterton SL15 has been misbehaving - from complete failure to now short cycling. We have had three different gas safe registered companies attend (including BAXI) and they all did the same - replaced parts until the boiler worked. So we have a new main board, ignition system and pump. But the problem we started with six months ago remains and the last fitter said to us he had no idea what was wrong and we should just get a new boiler. The boiler (when it works, does work well) is probably not the problem but I do not know what to do next.
The boiler etc works as it should on the hot water but misbehaves on the heating cycle. The problem is the same whether the heating is set to all day or timed. So, to the problem:- when first asked for heat in the morning the boiler fires up and the system works for several hours exactly as it should, it also works as it should in the evening. During the day however, from late morning to about 6pm, the boiler fires up, runs for three or four seconds and shuts down. A few minutes later it happens again and so on.
The controller and hall thermostat have both been replaced (like for like) but no difference.
I know I need a heating engineer but three so far have been unable or unwilling to look further into the problem.
All suggestions welcome.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If it’s a regular thing I would be putting a multi meter on the switched live to see it it’s getting a voltage when this is happening.seem to recall a mention of a suppressor needed on some boilers for this issue

Thanks Cross Thread, I will put that on my list - I want to be able to offer positive suggestions to the next engineer I call in as I won't touch the boiler etc myself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back