Pavatherm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've read that a fibreboard insulation called Pavatherm (made by Pavatex) is one of the best insulators - I think it came from a "Which" report. I was wondering if I could use that as a basic flooring for my attic and kill two birds with one stone. It's just for storage so the finish doesn't have to be great. I've already got a thinnish layer of fibre/blanket stuff and want to improve the insulation. The house is about 100 years old, and the joists are unevenly spaced.

Any comments?

Thanks,

Mike

Sponsored Links
heeellloo simem and welcome :D :D :D :D

insulation by its nature is very bulky but minimum strength it basicly works by either trapping loads of air in little pockets causing a thermal barrier or reflecting the heat back

so without knowing anything about your material i would say no unless its specificly desighned with a floor layer attached

Best insulator in what context?

They are made from wood pulp, are heavier than traditional quilt insulation, inflexible, cost more per m2 and burn if ignited.

If that makes them the Which? best buy, then I would like to know how bad the other products tested were.

Sponsored Links
from which people :

I have taken a look at the National Building Technologies technical specification sheet for Pavatex Pavatherm and they state that "The boards do not prejudice the fire resistance properties of the roof nor of the wall. When properly installed the boards will not add significantly to any existing fire hazard. The boards will not present a toxic hazard. According to DIN 4102 Pavatherm belongs to the material class B2. According to EN13501-1 it belongs to material class E."

This seems to have the following advantages
1 good u value
2 no toxicity associated with it
3 holds moisyure, very permeable to it, so helping to maintain aconstant humidity inside, that is avoiding large fluctuatuions.
4 high thermal density, ie delaying heat loss for a considerable time.

All of these are similar to kingspan and other related products except the toxicity element.

The only drawback seems to be in the price.

Any one disagree?

cheers
woody

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back