Paving circle sub-base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to lay a paving circle in our garden. I have had to dig the soil around a fair bit, so it isn't compacted at the moment.

My plan is to use a wacker plate on the soil and then use a 50mm 6:1 sand cement moist mix (also compacted) as a bedding layer.

Does this sound OK, without using any hardcore as a sub-base?

This is my first time doing any paving, and have read a reasonable amount on it, but would welcome any comments please.

Sponsored Links
if the ground is firm you could get away without any sub base, but we would always lay on a bed of compacted mot. its cheap and gives a much better finish.

do Not lay on a moist mix. Lay on a wet mortar bed. it will give a much better , stronger and lasting finish, and you need a stronger mix, around 3 or 4:1

Sponsored Links
Yup, sorry - found it:
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Granular-Sub-Base/invt/224664

OK, so for a 2.4m paving circle, with a 3:1 mix, the paving expert calculator recommends:

42 kg cement
152 kg sharp sand
228kg gravel (mot presumably)

Am I right in thinking that all the Wickes 'major' bags are 25kg and thus I need 2 bags of cement, 6 bags sand and 9 bags of sub-base?

Sorry for dragging this out, I don't want to mess it up!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back