Votes: 2 16.7%
  • 60% or more

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • 0%

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sponsored Links
hamilton who knows no one in switzerland left with indecent haste after becoming famous

I can't blame him, the poor sod lived in Stevenage. Have you ever visited Stevenage? It's like Milton Keynes but without the charm. ;)

I'm sure people would always find a way to avoid paying tax. People trying to avoid paying tax is what keeps accountants in work.

They reckon Lewis Hamilton is on his way to become a billionaire, and is believed to have earned £500M so far... Safe to say he's firmly into the 40% bracket there, so that would mean £200M of tax.

The question must be asked: has Hamilton received £200M-worth of benefit from the UK?

You could say yes, because if he'd been born in Switzerland he may not have ended up in his line of work and would probably not be a multi-millionaire. But that is intangible.

Or, you could say no, he has paid in far more than is fair. For instance, I doubt he will ever need unemployment benefit, he will probably send his kids to public school. NHS is a tricky one, as he's bound to need emergency treatment from time to time after stacking his car.

Most people are happy to pay tax, as long as it is fair and reasonable, and is going to a worthwhile use.

the point off a functioning society is you put in whatever you can
if your doing well you put in more
if your down on your luck then you will contribute less
its not about getting personal value for money its about being fair
look at russia india america and britain as other countries where people have no real sense off fair play no sense off right or wrong or a cohesive society
we got rid off the feudal system years ago but its now coming back with a vengence

Sponsored Links
the point off a functioning society is you put in whatever you can
if your doing well you put in more
if your down on your luck then you will contribute less
its not about getting personal value for money its about being fair

But the multi-level tax plus NI regime isn't fair, that's my point. Wouldn't it be more fair to have a single flat-rate tax? Or to cap tax at a maximum amount per year?

I agree that people who earn Lewis Hamilton money won't starve if they upped the tax from 40% to 80%, or even 99%, but they will run away and spend their money abroad.

Someone earning Lewis Hamilton money will be spending lots of money on expensive goods that attract lots of VAT, they will be employing assistants, accountants, domestic staff etc. They will buy lots of expensive new cars which incur lots of new car tax. They will buy big properties with big council tax bills. They will then hire in tradesmen to do every last job. They will do all those things regardless of which country they live in, why not make it worth their while to do it in the UK? That way he spends his income here instead of in Switzerland.

BA,
I think your ideal world is a long way off yet.

yep i fear you ar right there
i am a labour man through and through but the 98% tax was daft as is the the to rate now
but all the time we get people thinking only off them selves we will have a poor divided society
remember what thatcher said "there is no such thing as society"
sums it up realy
get where you can as fast as you can and dont worry about sh1tting on who ever you trample on for your own greed :cry:

get where you can as fast as you can and dont worry about sh1tting on who ever you trample on for your own greed :cry:

That's a bit strong! Wealth is not an indicator of greed, nor is it evidence that one has trampled on others to get where they are.

You get nice people who are wealthy and nice people who are poor.
You also get a**eholes who are poor and a**eholes who are wealthy.

But the multi-level tax plus NI regime isn't fair, that's my point. Wouldn't it be more fair to have a single flat-rate tax? Or to cap tax at a maximum amount per year?

I agree that people who earn Lewis Hamilton money won't starve if they upped the tax from 40% to 80%, or even 99%, but they will run away and spend their money abroad.

Someone earning Lewis Hamilton money will be spending lots of money on expensive goods that attract lots of VAT, they will be employing assistants, accountants, domestic staff etc. They will buy lots of expensive new cars which incur lots of new car tax. They will buy big properties with big council tax bills. They will then hire in tradesmen to do every last job. They will do all those things regardless of which country they live in, why not make it worth their while to do it in the UK? That way he spends his income here instead of in Switzerland.

if you read my previous reply you will see i agree the tax levels dont help

if you look at a poor family 90% off what they earn will by nessesity atract vat the other 10% will be non vat food stuffs

you cant realy say that a millionairs spending power will help where they decide to be a non dom
they will only spend the minimum perhaps 5%to 10% off there income that will directly benefit this country so perhaps 1% in vat and maybe another 2 or 3% off profit from the retailer so maybe 1.1 percent :rolleyes: who knows

I guess this is why we have politics! Different people look at the numbers in different ways, and come up with different answers.

Now, if only there was a way to tell all the parties apart... ;)

I guess this is why we have politics! Different people look at the numbers in different ways, and come up with different answers.

Now, if only there was a way to tell all the parties apart... ;)

nah new labour is more right wing than the tories :rolleyes: ;)

Sponsored Links
Back