Paying twice for a job?

It's also a home office so whatever happens, we will have to gut the room for 2 days when it is re-done.

Is this our responsibility? Should we just pay all over again? How should we handle this?

Sorry it's a long one but any advice or opinions either way would be appreciated!

Likely not his fault, sometimes jobs - despite your best, do go wrong. I would expect him to do it again, but only charge his minimum for it - a no profit job.

Sponsored Links
Hi folks. Just wanted to add a quick update for your thoughts.

Spoke to our decorator this morning and he said he knew the walls were in a bad shape originally and "should have been lined" but the ONLY reason he didn't was because he would have had to take off the radiator and he wasn't insured for that ... so he went ahead and painted anyway.

This has never been mentioned to us before. Our next-door-neighbour is a plumber so we could have had this done in minutes if we had been told ...

Also, he has said we will need to buy replacement paint and lining paper but he will only charge for lining paper labour and not painting. Up to 10 hours??

Does this seem right?

The whole radiator issue has really thrown me as that should have been our decision.
You can live a 100% perfect life in hindsight.

I suspect the reality is that he is referring to the walls being rough and therefore requiring lining. Its unlikely that he could have anticipated old filler showing through, and he's already applied a stain blocker and repainted for free.

I think he's being very fair and reasonable.

You can live a 100% perfect life in hindsight.

I suspect the reality is that he is referring to the walls being rough and therefore requiring lining. Its unlikely that he could have anticipated old filler showing through, and he's already applied a stain blocker and repainted for free.

I think he's being very fair and reasonable.

Completely get that - this was my thinking before today's call, but when he said the ONLY reason he didn't paper was because of the radiator ... that implied he knew it needed papering all along. Might be hindsight but if we'd have been given that option at the time we wouldn't be having to pay again now

Completely get that - this was my thinking before today's call, but when he said the ONLY reason he didn't paper was because of the radiator ... that implied he knew it needed papering all along. Might be hindsight but if we'd have been given that option at the time we wouldn't be having to pay again now

I think you're reading too much into his comment about the walls needing lining. The only reason lining is now being discussed is because there is patchiness that he couldn't have anticipated. The patchiness is even showing through after he's stain blocked it and repainted, which he did for free.

If you'd have been given the option of having the walls lined and paying £200 extra to not have the rustic finish you originally said you were happy with, or paying the same and having the rustic finish that you have but without the patchiness in the paint, what would you have done?

I think he's been very fair by offering to redo the work and you only paying the extra for the lining which is what you'd have had to pay if he'd offered it in the first place.

Sponsored Links
Sorry I'm not understanding this.
If he originally had said it needed papering you would have had to pay more to have it lined.
So
If he's now papering it and not charging to paint it you're not paying anymore. Especially as the paint is left over?
What extra expense do you have?

I think you're reading too much into his comment about the walls needing lining. The only reason lining is now being discussed is because there is patchiness that he couldn't have anticipated. The patchiness is even showing through after he's stain blocked it and repainted, which he did for free.

If you'd have been given the option of having the walls lined and paying £200 extra to not have the rustic finish you originally said you were happy with, or paying the same and having the rustic finish that you have but without the patchiness in the paint, what would you have done?

I think he's been very fair by offering to redo the work and you only paying the extra for the lining which is what you'd have had to pay if he'd offered it in the first place.

Perhaps - to be fair I didn't realise that lining took up to 10 hours. I thought it would just be the same as traditional wallpapering (although I'm only used to doing Paste the Wall stuff). So could I use paste the wall (Superfresco Wall Doctor) lining paper and do the lining myself or is this a terrible idea? I've done plenty of walls like this but not when they've had to be painted .....

Personally, two walls at 2x3m would take me 4 hours ish but he will also have to size the walls and lwt that dry too!

Perhaps - to be fair I didn't realise that lining took up to 10 hours. I thought it would just be the same as traditional wallpapering (although I'm only used to doing Paste the Wall stuff). So could I use paste the wall (Superfresco Wall Doctor) lining paper and do the lining myself or is this a terrible idea? I've done plenty of walls like this but not when they've had to be painted .....

Of course you can.

Lining paper is the same as traditional wallpapering, but the time taken extra to ensure you don't see any joins and have any lifting etc is the key.

I've seen plenty people throw up wallpaper, and then you look at the cuts they've made and the paper is all torn where they've trimmed it etc looks like a pile of poop.

With lining paper, ideally once it's hung, you'd then want to fill the edges and sand down.

Our next-door-neighbour is a plumber so we could have had this done in minutes if we had been told ....

I'm surprised your next door neighbour Plumber is sitting at home waiting for you to call him. I would expect him to be out at work.

Andy

The decorator said the wall wouldn't be perfect, but he would prepare as best as he could.

You don't know for sure how a rough old wall is going to turn out until it's fimished.

And you were reasonably satisfied with the finish.

Until the spots appeared.

He couldn't anticipate this, it seems he may not have even applied the filier where the spots are.

He then did what I would have expected, with the Zinseer.

Bad luck all round really, one of those things.

I wouldn't read too much into the radiator thing, to line the walls with paper would certainly have made the job significantly longer and more expensive.

Just supposing he did paper the room, and these spots bled through the paper???

Personally I think he has done the right thing every time.

He sounds an incredibly patient and loyal man, so don't upset him.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back