PCB blown

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Ideal Minimiser SE which is approx 3 years old. Three weeks ago the PCB (PCB 41) blew and was replaced. The fuse in the switch that powers the boiler also fused. This fuse has now gone again and we are without heating and hot water again. It is a 3 amp fuse - could we put a 5 amp in?? Secondly, if it is the PCB that has gone again, what could be causing this? The house is only 3 years old and we have had nothing but trouble with the heating/hotwater/boiler. Should I cut my losses and get a new boiler? Please help!!

Sponsored Links
Noticed that the heating hadn't come on so went to see if boiler had locked out. No fan noise. Turned the boiler off and then on again by turning the switch inside the boiler to 0 and then back to 5. Nothing happened. Then noticed the programming unit had gone off as the fuse had blown. Changed the fuse, turned the heating on and the fuse immediately blew again. Will look 2morrow to see if PCB has gone again but am worried there is some underlying cause. Help! This is becoming expensive.

Sponsored Links
should we get an engineer to check the gas valve or is it something we could do? What would we need to look for?

Check this-

You will probably have condense leaking from the ignition probe gasket. You will see white staining. The condense will run down the wiring loom and through the plastic connector into the pcb!

Look at the pcb and you will see staining, lift the pcb out and you will see white condense marks on the metal pcb housing.

Before doing anything else get the gasket replaced.

Bizarrely, we have now taken out the PCB 41 and replaced it with the old PCB37 which we replaced because we were having problems with lockout and it only gave one ignition attempt. The PCB 41 gives 5 and a longer pre purge. Anyway, the PCB 41 was dampish. We have put the PCB 37 back and the boiler is now sparking (although sadly not igniting but its not that cold today). Hopefully, I can get an engineer out tomorrow. Any further help gratefully received..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back