PD: "materials are of a similar appearance to those used in the construction of the house"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone clarify what this means? I'm thinking of adding a DIY extension to the back of the house, but I'm not confident in my bricklaying skills (not to mention it sounds like hard work). I am however confident I can DIY construct it out of SIP's or a wooden frame and clad it externally.

The house currently consists out of: red bricks (approx 40%, mostly on the side elevations), yellow rendering (approx 40%, mostly on the back and front), wooden cladding painted red (approx 10%, only on the front).

Would prefer the Permitted Development route to save some money.

I was thinking:
Step 1: paint the red wooden cladding to the colour we'd like the new cladding to be (blue?)
Step 2: start construction of the extension
Step 3: replace the blue wooden cladding with the new blue (?) cement cladding
Step 4: finish extension
Step 5: clad the exterior of the extension

However is the fact that approx. 10% of the materials used in the construction of the house were cladding enough to fall under PD? The wording is too vague for me to figure this one out.

Sponsored Links
The actual wording extracted from the PP is...

“The materials used in any exterior work must be of a similar appearance to those on the exterior of the existing house.”

So your new extension can be faced with any materials that are similar to those which appear on the existing house irrespective of how many types there are.

It means you match the walls, the frames, the fascias, the roof covering in appearance.

Similar appearance is not similar material.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back