Snooker shed and Art studio shed.. will I need planning?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys!

I've been planning my full size snooker table shed and art studio shed for the past few months, I currently live in a rented council house with a massive back garden (approx 10m x 22m). The council have given their permission and pretty much said build it as big as you like, but after reading the rules and regs on sheds I now realise I may need planning permission also? Or do I? I don't really want to wait another 8-10 weeks for a decision, what should I do? Is it worth the risk starting? The neighbouring gardens (also massive) all back on to each other and most have sheds, conservatories, extensions etc. So I don't think I will be spoiling anyone's view, but at a budget cost of nearly 8k including the equipment. I don't want to have to take it down again...

I'm hoping to build two conjoined pitch roof sheds, one 7m x 5m (snooker table shed) with an eaves of 1.9m and I was hoping for a ridge height of 3m (not 2.5). The second 5m x 3.5m & 2.7m to the ridge. The sheds will only be 0.6m from the boundary line. The bigger shed will be roughly 33m2 internally and the smaller shed around 16m2, although joined together they will be separate internally, divided by a timber wall.

As for the construction I intended to build a reinforced 100mm concrete base with the outline of the two shed's in 4"x2" timber. The 'slab' will sit on MOT type1 50mm sub layer which will have been compacted down. The walls and roof will all be constructed from 3"x2" cls timber and clad with OSB on the back and sides (out of view) and the front elevation clad with shiplap timber. The roof I was just going to felt and possibly fit a glass window on the roof of the smaller shed to let in some natural light for my painting. I was also planning on one horizontal window for the big shed and a smaller vertical window for the smaller shed, both sheds will have there own door to gain access. The 0.6m perimeter around both sheds will be stone chippings up to our boundary with the neighbours.

Any feedback would be great on this. I was thinking about maybe trying to have a chat with someone from planning to explain the plans and try to get a rough idea what the chances are of successfully being granted planning permission?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Under the Permitted Development rules, if any part of a detached building is within 2m of a boundary its height is limited to 2.5m (whether a pitched roof or flat roof).
You would also need Building Regulations approval if you are proposing a timber structure within 1m of the boundary, and additionally for any building with a floor area of > 30m^2.

Technically it needs building regs and planning. If it is round the back an the neighbours won't complain then you could take a risk and do it without. A third option is to apply for planning, make a start, lay the slab and build the walls, then build the roof to 3m if you get planning, 2.5m if you don't. Saves you some time

Thanks for the reply

I could expand the distance from the boundary to 1m and conform with building regs there, I could also make the larger shed 30m2. what do you mean by ^2? Am I assuming even if the shed where detached, both together must be no bigger than 30m2?

I think if I wanted to make a start (so long as building regs are happy), I would still need planning permission regardless because I'd like a higher pitch to my roof than 2.5m.... The fall back here would be to build it to 2.5 if rejected? At least that way I could still start the build while planning is going through? Or is that a 'no no'?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
It has to be at least 1M away from the boundary if its going to be a wood/shed like construction and over 15m2. Have you costed this? A 30M2 insulated building kitted out is going to cost about 15-20k. 8-10k if you diy. As you are renting have you considered how/what you do if you have to leave?

what do you mean by ^2? Am I assuming even if the shed where detached, both together must be no bigger than 30m2?

I think if I wanted to make a start (so long as building regs are happy), I would still need planning permission regardless because I'd like a higher pitch to my roof than 2.5m.... The fall back here would be to build it to 2.5 if rejected? At least that way I could still start the build while planning is going through? Or is that a 'no no'?

Thank you.

Sorry, 30m^2 just short hand for 30 square meters.

Can't quite follow how you want the shed(s) but if they are both joined by the roof, the combined floor area should still be less than 30 sq m.
If you want to make a start while a planning application is pending, the council can't stop you but they might take exception to the transgression and could refuse the application on principle. Your sheds seem relatively large and you need to get the planning officer on side rather than putting his/her nose out of joint.

The council have given their permission and pretty much said build it as big as you like,

Have you got that in writing from the council's housing department ( or the Housing Association ) who own the building. Planning permission is not the same as permission within the terms of your tenancy agreement.

Bear in mind that "the council" in this context, is three separate departments and it looks like you will need specific written permission from each.

It's a wonderful Housing Department that says "build what you like" (and presumably how you like and looking like whatever you like) without having specific details of what's proposed to be done.

Thanks for the replies gents, and the concerns!

To put your minds at ease when I spoke to the council who own the property and she said there are no restricts as far as they are concerned 'build what you like' my instant reply was can I have that in writing, so that's sorted! Of course I'm not that naive to think I can literally build what I like, which is why I then started checking out planning restrictions, which in turn has led to building control via the help on this thread.

This morning I spoke both Building Control and the planning department for my district, I have to say the lady at building control was extremely helpful! Planning maybe not just so... but I got the gist.

So the result was my semi-detached 2 sheds basically count as 1 and therefore are well over the 30m2 maximum floor area. To add to that any wall area larger than 5m2 must be fully fire protected, as well as 1m+ from the boundary. My 'super shed' actually comes under the garage upto 60m2 classification, and there are all kinds of building reg you must stick too costing ££££'s.

After an hour or two going over my options I've decided to split the sheds, 1 with the maximum 30m2 and 1m from the boundary and 2.5m to the ridge. The second I will keep just under 15m2 so I can tuck it into the back corner within 1m of the boundary and again a 2.5m ridge.

Job done! No planning, No building control... and I get my snooker table!

Who's up for a game?

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back