Pearlstone shower tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Two quick questions re installing a pearlstone tray onto marine ply.
(1) The manufacturer recommends a weak cement mix as a base. I've seen manufacturers of similar products state that floor tile adhesive can also be used. I happen to have floor tile adhesive but not some sand and cement....

So is floor tile adhesive recommended and if so, a flat or combed bed?

(2) When tiling down to a tray / bath, I have always grouted between the tile and the tray and then run a silicone bead over the top. Is this better than running a full silicone bead between the two and also over the top?

Cheers,

David[/u]

Sponsored Links
I am no expert in this field but after researching to fit out my own bathroom...

1. Follow the manufacturers instructions, so in your case go for a bed of mortar. It will also be easier to get the the tray level.

2. The concencus on here seems to be to leave a 5mm gap below your lowest tile for a bead of silicone.

Andy.

The purpose of the sand/cement is to support the tray, so it must cover the entire area where the tray is, and no space between the cement and tray.

Therefore combing it will leave large gaps - not what you want.
The tile adhesive is likely to be much harder than the sand/cement, which could also cause problems.

Consider also that a bag of sand & cement is a cheap item. Replacing a busted shower tray is not.

For the tray edge:
1. Fit tray
2. Seal gap between tray & wall with silicone
3. Tile down to tray leaving 5mm gap
4. Seal gap with silicone.

Grout between the tray and tiles will inevitably crack.
Same applies for baths.

Thanks guys, that's helpful.

One further question: I'm installing a wetroom style sheet glass panel which will sit on top of the tray, supported by an extruded wall channel and an overhead showerhead. I understand the reasons for only sealing the outside of the wall channel with silicone but my question is:

Is it best to seal the glass panel by:
(1) Sitting it on a bead of clear silicone on the tray; or
(2) Sitting it directly on the tray and running a bead of silicone down the outside of the glass and tray?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
I've had this problem a lot over the past few years. Because the timber has slight movement in it sand and cement will crack! I have spoken directly to several manufactures including just trays and pearlstone they both recommended I use a solvent based no nails. Used gripfil since never had any problems. Hope this helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back