Peeling window with moss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All,

DIY novice here but I have just bought my first house so I thought it was about time I learned how to do things myself.

One project which I though might be easy enough is a wooden side window which is peeling and has some moss of the window sill. Despite the moss the wood seems in reasonable condition. Here's a pic (hoping I have worked out how to include images...)

The window frames are the orginial ones put in when the house wass built 20 years ago.

The rest of the frame is OK so I'd rather not have to repaint/restain the whole lot unless I have to but if this project is successful I'd like to move onto the front door which is in a similar condition.

So what do I need to do? Sand down the wood? What about an anti-moss treatment? What kind of wood stain is recommended? How many coats?

Any advice welcome.

Sponsored Links
Sadolin do a good glossy stain like that.

Scrape of as much loose material as you can.
Make sure wood is totally dry.
Sand down to flat, even surface.
Dust off thoroughly.
Give the bare bits extra coats.
Give whole surface at least two coats.

Keep window clean to avoid build-up of moss in future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back