Penetrating Damp on living room walls.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just moved into a house and notcied wet patches under the curtains either side if the living room window. When i first viewed the house it was summer time and didn't notice it as it only happens when it rains.

Any idea what could be causing this? I've had someone come out to check it but he didn't seem certain as to the cause and gave me a quote of £750.

Here are some pictures i took quickly. Thanks to anyone with advice.

IMG_1998.JPG IMG_2002.JPG IMG_2003.JPG IMG_2001.JPG

Sponsored Links
There's no signs of cavity wall insulation injection holes so the main suspect would be lack of correct silicone sealing around the frame (the frames in fact, as the bedroom frame also appears to be badly sealed).

Previous, the brickwork has been re-pointed but at the reveals no fresh pointing can be seen? Moisture could be creeping through the beds and across the return reveal bricks to the inside plaster.
Moisture might possibly be making its way across the cavity above the brick arch.

But first, clean out the old white sealant and re-seal with expensive silicone.
Then wait and see, dont re-decorate, let it dry out - & come back if it continues.

Old house doubt it has cavity walls. Bet it's condensation. Old houses need to breathhhhh maannn

Sponsored Links
that top window looks suspicious as already said you can see some good water marks running down render and brickwork is the gutter leaking could even be a broken tile causing water to go down cavity

The water trickling down from either side of the upper frame opening is hitting the join of dash and clear brickwork, and the brick stringline below. Both can pool water and facilitate water penetration eg. the dash doesn't have a Bell Cast - but for now, perhaps the OP should keep it simple.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back