Penetrative Damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just noticed two patches in our spare room.

Had gutters unblocked months ago.

Is this something that can be done DIY or needs a professional?

Attachments

• D95738A5-A74C-4DE5-924D-D63D1080FA3E.jpeg
    D95738A5-A74C-4DE5-924D-D63D1080FA3E.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 35
Sponsored Links
I'd do it DIY but then it's usually only certification requirements that stop me having a go at something.. How do you rate your competence, ability to climb a ladder and wield simple tools under the application of logic?

I'd do it DIY but then it's usually only certification requirements that stop me having a go at something.. How do you rate your competence, ability to climb a ladder and wield simple tools under the application of logic?
Should be fine as long as I work out what I’m doing in advance.

Added a photo of the outside.

Attachments

• 9B8FFDBC-FCC9-463D-A9DE-AFDBEA977DB2.jpeg
    9B8FFDBC-FCC9-463D-A9DE-AFDBEA977DB2.jpeg
    274.8 KB · Views: 44
Perhaps you should consider repointing around the chimney where the gaps look large enough for water to penetrate before fixing the ceiling.

Sponsored Links
Sometime in the past had a chimney breast in the spare room corner been removed?
You need to use a selfie on a long stick (eg a tile batten) from the spare room window to pic the flashing and flaunching of the chimney stack.
Also, stand back at ground level and take a wider pic of the rendered wall/stack - is that side the neighbour's side?

Perhaps you should consider repointing around the chimney where the gaps look large enough for water to penetrate before fixing the ceiling.
We are hoping to get a dormer loft conversion in around 1 years time. Wouldn’t that chimney or part of it go then?

Sometime in the past had a chimney breast in the spare room corner been removed?
You need to use a selfie on a long stick (eg a tile batten) from the spare room window to pic the flashing and flaunching of the chimney stack.
Also, stand back at ground level and take a wider pic of the rendered wall/stack - is that side the neighbour's side?
No idea, moved in around 1 year ago so cannot comment what’s happened in the past.

Added some more photos.

Appreciate the help

Attachments

• 789B25A0-51C0-4CBD-9A33-B7ED6DF610A3.jpeg
    789B25A0-51C0-4CBD-9A33-B7ED6DF610A3.jpeg
    408.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 5DFCB512-B208-451D-BE45-ED8000A7090C.jpeg
    5DFCB512-B208-451D-BE45-ED8000A7090C.jpeg
    368.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 5D38A6A5-9BFA-426D-BD13-113B41CEA0B0.jpeg
    5D38A6A5-9BFA-426D-BD13-113B41CEA0B0.jpeg
    266.4 KB · Views: 52
  • FC6F9374-FE69-4037-907A-C42A13A65FC8.jpeg
    FC6F9374-FE69-4037-907A-C42A13A65FC8.jpeg
    308.8 KB · Views: 55
That Chimney stack really does need repointing. Until that is fixed the rest of the walls will keep getting damp. You may even have your neighbour make an insurance claim for damp on their wall.

Can't see clearly but it looks like the lead flashing has been removed and replaced with a mortar joint

Christ on a crumpet that's worse than it looks!
Got a ladder?
Pronto.

OP,
Thank you for the pics.
1. No c/breast on the ground floor, & no c/breast in the spare room above - but you share a chimney stack with your neighbour?
2. How is the stack being supported on your side - is it being supported?
3. You will have to get into the loft and crawl to that corner with a light and a camera to see, as best you can, whats happening in terms of stack support or rain penetration?
4. If the neighbour has abandoned her side of the c/breast & stack then there might be a case for removing the total stack?
5. The stack pointing is failing so is the rear wall pointing.
6. Next to the render there is a vertical soot streak indicating the line of the old flue.
7. Your side of the parapet has a mixed flashing fillet of sand & cement & lead - likewise the chimney stack.
All the flashing looks to be failing - the S&C was applied to hopefully fix the lead flashing.
8. When the cause of the water penetration is found and repaired then all water stained plaster and plasterboard should be replaced with lime render & new p/board.

9. The chimney stack to the RH side of your roof will also need much attention - has the c/breast below also been removed?
10. The RH roof abutment to your RH gable wall should also be checked out.
11. Given that both parapets run over the front plane of your roof then the front parapets will also have to be checked out.
12. There is no safe way to ladder up at the back except on either neighbour's sides - best to leave going up to a roofer who should take a video of his findings esp. before & after any work.

Mostly I'm concerned that it looks like water can flow down the roof next to the boundary but then it hits the chimney stack and has to divert around it. The staining around the end of the gutter may indicate water getting in somewhere and that's where it exits

Are those chimneys actually used any more? For aesthetic and functional reasons I'd look to remove them, getting the neighbours on board too, if they're no longer in service

OP,

4. If the neighbour has abandoned her side of the c/breast & stack then there might be a case for removing the total stack?
Her side ? Have you been stalking, tell? :LOL:

Parapets between terrace properties are often a source of damp as any failure in construction can allow in damp which falls thru the walls causing problem on lower walls.Unventilated sealed flu‘s also add to damp problems.If your damage is from flooding gutters vacant take months to dry out , or even years.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back