Pensions Pots - How much do you need?

£219

although, in real life, the value of your original investment would have grown, and so would the ones you had bought 19 years ago, 18 years ago, 17 years ago....

I think you do not understand compound growth.

As a Brexer, i suppose you find it difficult to accept how much UK has lagged EU since the referendum.

Sponsored Links
except that it's gone up 42%, plus reinvested dividends, even though in recent years it has been badly damaged by the Brexit catastrophe, and the Pandemic crash.

that's what you call "doesn't appear to be growing?"

If you had bought a Premium Bond for £1 twenty years ago, today it would be worth £1. That's "not growing." Though with luck you might have received some prize money.

let's suppose you invested £100 twenty years ago.

And received 4% dividends which you reinvested to achieve compound growth.

and for some reason the price of your investment did not change

What would it be worth today?

I understand, but if it had continued the growth of the first ten years into the next 20 years it would be up to the 20,000 mark, and it isn't. Regardless of what speculative investors make from it, doesn't this show that the 100 companies' growth is slower than previously?

you'd need to look at growth with dividends reinvested, and adjusted for inflation, to see true growth.

As a Brexer, i suppose you find it difficult to accept how much UK has lagged EU since the referendum.

Surely you know the ftse100 isn’t a good barometer of uk performance? Much of the index is global. The 250 is a better uk tracker.

Sponsored Links
Back