Pensions Pots - How much do you need?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Appreciate it's a 'how long's a piece of string type question', but I know a few of the folks on here are knowledgeable about such things as pensions.

I found this article, which suggests £265k pot for an annuity, or £154k pot for income drawdown to get a pension of £26k per year:

https://www.which.co.uk/money/pensi...how-much-will-you-need-to-retire-atu0z9k0lw3p

Do those seem to be reasonable figures? I know usually Which can be trusted.

Elsewhere articles seem to suggest that folks typically have £60-80k in their pot at the time of retirement.

I'm 42 so just trying to do some forward planning and know what to aim for...

Thanks

**edit, link corrected **

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Elsewhere articles seem to suggest that folks typically have £60-80k in their pot at the time of retirement.

I'm 42 so just trying to do some forward planning and know what to aim for...

A lot depends....

Your intended lifestyle after you retire is the biggest factor, when you plan to retire another, your basic running costs yet another.

I live fairly frugally, I am careful what I spend and shop around and I don't have expensive tastes. However, when I need to spend money - the money is there. I have a good pension pot tucked away, but since retiring the size of my pot has increased substantially.

I am 'lucky' in that I rarely need to employ anyone to do any work for me.

I totally understand that a lot depends on lifestyle choices, retirement age etc.

The figure of £26k pa seemed reasonable as it's about the average salary right now. I'm wanting to ensure that we (my other half and I) can live sensibly in retirement at normal age, and won't go without.

My pension pot started at 21, so I'm not in a bad position. Just the average person's pot size sounded small when compared to what's needed to get a pension equivalent to the average salary. (Albeit many OAPs don't have a mortgage that a worker would have).

Perhaps the average pot value is reduced by the fact that many people have very little/no pension that's private....

Sponsored Links
The figure of £26k pa seemed reasonable as it's about the average salary right now. I'm wanting to ensure that we (my other half and I) can live sensibly in retirement at normal age, and won't go without.

You just will not need the same level of income once you retire, as when working and earning a salary. As you suggest, likely there will be no mortgage to pay and all of the expenses normally incurred in getting to and from work are gone, there are free bus passes. You may have some entitlement to a state pension too and winter fuel payments, free prescriptions.

You have to think about when you want to retire and if you can both build a pension.
There are also passive income options that don't need a lot of work - e.g. holiday homes etc.
Then you have to think about having it index linked once you retire.

For example I have a holiday let that I purchased 2 years ago for around £190,000. Its currently worth about £225k. Its making around £15,000pa net of costs, plus I can also use it. Its capital growth should match inflation. These sort of investments can help you delay when you would take your pension and therefore help you get more cash.

For example I have a holiday let that I purchased 2 years ago for around £190,000. Its currently worth about £225k. Its making around £15,000pa net of costs, plus I can also use it. Its capital growth should match inflation.

That sounds quite interesting. Can I ask where the property is, and what type it is? Presuming lettings dipped a bit during last 18 months - is it now picking up?

My understanding of the way they work is you get an annuity of the lump sum of a certain percentage. If you have £100k and get 5% , you will get £5k, if you have £250k and get 5% you'll get £12.5k a year, though rates are lower at the moment so you will get less. This may be over simplifying things, and may be totally wrong, but I would be looking at £500k for a decent pension.

My understanding of the way they work is you get an annuity of the lump sum of a certain percentage. If you have £100k and get 5% , you will get £5k, if you have £250k and get 5% you'll get £12.5k a year, though rates are lower at the moment so you will get less. This may be over simplifying things, and may be totally wrong, but I would be looking at £500k for a decent pension.

Annuity rates are very low and unlikely to be the best option.
If you select annual increases, they will be very low.
If you are able to get inflation linking, they will be extraordinarily low.

You can use Income Drawdown or Partial Encashment, in both cases leaving the remainder of your fund to continue growing.

It's my opinion that growth is very unlikely to be less than inflation, and quite likely to be higher. (Though perhaps I am mistaken.)

This means that even if you took (for example) 4% of your fund value this year, your fund is likely to be worth more next year.

And so, next year, if you took another 4% of the new value, it would be a greater amount.

If your fund happened to grow, say, by 10%, the increase would be noticeable.

From time to time there will be a bad year, and the fund will shrink rather than growing. Taking out a fixed sum in such a year will decrease its value by a greater percentage. So it is a good idea to keep a cash buffer to tide you over a bad year.

As you grow older, your life expectancy sadly reduces, so you can reasonably increase the percentage you take.

For example, I know a person aged 75 who expects to live about 15 years, so she divided her pension fund by 15 years, and intends to take 6%. There is a good chance that the fund will not be exhausted by the time she pegs out so there will be something to leave to her grandkids. If the fund happens to grow by more than 6%, she can withdraw more, or leave more.

If she had taken early retirement at 55, she would have had to start with a smaller percentage.

You can get a calculator that says how long your fund will last, assuming x% growth, depending on fund value, amount taken, and the increase in payments you assume to match inflation.

Annuities make a similar calculation, and they work on an estimate of how long the average annuitant will live. Otherwise, you yourself carry the risk of living too long and running out, or dying too soon and not getting the benefit of your investment.

Companies that sell annuities make a good profit.

A flat-rate annuity will lose a lot of its spending power after ten or fifteen years of inflation.

For example goods costing £1000 in 2005 cost £1527 in 2020
https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/inflation/inflation-calculator

Renters are ok, but tenants are a pita.
Property has done about 20% in the last 5 years. Plus a few % for the rent.
If you can get some work done on them you can do ok but I'm too old for the faff now.
We stuck cash in here 5 yrs ago: just a global tracker really.
It's just tipped down, may be time for a partial transfer as inflation looks like rising.
upload_2021-10-7_17-35-41.png

"You can expect to run out of money after year 11 of your retirement."

Hmmm. Going to be on benefits street when I'm about 78 I guess!

What were your assumptions?

Try changing them.

In other news:

"New Bank of England chief economist warns of long-lasting inflation"

"High levels of UK inflation could persist for longer than expected, the Bank of England’s new chief economist said, suggesting he agrees with the more hawkish elements of the Monetary Policy Committee.

“In my view, that balance of risks is currently shifting towards great concern about the inflation outlook, as the current strength of inflation looks set to prove more long-lasting than originally anticipated,” said Huw Pill, in his first public remarks since taking office last month.

Much of the recent rise in UK inflation has stemmed from the increasing costs of imported goods, as well as international commodity prices, which are expected to be temporary as supply bottlenecks in semiconductors and shipping normalise.

“But the magnitude and duration of the transient inflation spike is proving greater than expected,” he argued.

Pill’s view, shared in written responses to questions from the UK Treasury committee, suggested the new chief economist could vote in favour of an early rise in interest rates."

FT.com

Sponsored Links
Back