people borrowing my wireless

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a way in which i can search if there is anybody using my wireless.
It is protected but i am finding that my download limits are being reached very quickly . And my next door neighbour is a computer wiz i think he might be hacking in, Can i find out a specfic computer that is using my wireless. and what should i do to stop it, apart from removing his teeth for him???

Sponsored Links
1. change your password frequently
2. unplug it when your not using it
3. use a wired network then no one else can hack in!!

log into your router, you may, or may not depending on the make/model be able to see the devices connected, if there is somone other than you on there (check your IP and MAC address) you shuld then be able to block the offending MAC addresses.

if somone is using linux, it is rather easy to crack some wireless encryption, which are you using??

what is your usage allowance, and what sites do you use? places like youtube, spotify etc do use up alowance rather quicky, I have manages 4.5Gb in 5days on spotify.

Sponsored Links
You may even find your router will display a log of computers which have accessed it.

before i got my wireless sorted with WPA Password someone close was latching onto mine,a sure way to tell is when you have shut down your computer,Look at your router and if the lights are still flickering...need i say more

Mine shows who is connected under DHCP or should do but I know I have accessed the LAN with computers which have not shown up.

I use the Wireless MAC Address Filter and I have the MAC addresses of all my phones and laptops entered in this means there is no password so no one can guess it unless MAC address is in list they have no access.

I normally disable when I get something new then read MAC address in DHCP and transfer it to Wireless MAC Address Filter can't cut and paste though as one uses dash and the other colon as separator.

I don't mind people using my internet but I don't want them accessing my hard drive and I know with Linux it does not require a password only when using windows does it need password.

I use the Wireless MAC Address Filter and I have the MAC addresses of all my phones and laptops entered in this means there is no password so no one can guess it unless MAC address is in list they have no access.
MAC address filtering is no good. It does not take long to find a MAC address that is allowed access and using Linux you just change the MAC address of the system your using.

I don't mind people using my internet but I don't want them accessing my hard drive and I know with Linux it does not require a password only when using windows does it need password.
It’s not a good idea not to care who uses your internet. There’s lots of things they can do. From stealing your data, to you getting the police at your door because your ip address was flagged up as using dodgy credit cards.

MAC address registration/filtering has its place as long as you don't rely on it alone - i.e. it must used in conjunction with WPA encryption. It adds an extra layer of security to the system. Yes, it can be bypassed but the majority of opportunist bandwidth thieves won't know how.

To the OP:

What make and model of wireless router do you have?

The other thing not mentioned here is Warchalking or similar expressions.

If you have an open wireless connection and anyone logs on to your internet access, you are legally responsible for the consequences of their actions.

These offences are very hard to defend as the IP only has your details up to your router/adsl modem connection. After that, it is you.

Ignorance is no excuse under the law.

That said it's an extremely unfair law then as we are not all IT experts,
The law should put more onus on the manufacturers to make their equipment inherently safe.

Hopefully it's still a case of innocent until proven guilty.

That said it's an extremely unfair law then as we are not all IT experts,
The law should put more onus on the manufacturers to make their equipment inherently safe.

Hopefully it's still a case of innocent until proven guilty.

Since when has UK law been fair?

exactly! bout time the people took action and kicked these laws into touch

If you have an open wireless connection and anyone logs on to your internet access, you are legally responsible for the consequences of their actions.

Are you sure about that??? I have heard of piggybackers getting nicked by over zealous PCOs but not the owners. I cant see how that could work- after all ISPs are not arrested for the deeds of their subscribers.

If I leave my car unlocked I will invalidate my car insurance and might get speeding tickets if it is stolen and driven at excess speed but I am not liable if it is used to ram-raid the local PC World. Admittedly Inspector Knacker will want to lock me up initially.

If I leave my mobile phone unattended I am liable for call charges but not for the content of any calls.

If I leave a loaded gun sitting around I might be guilty of an offence but I am not responsible for someone using it to hold up a bank.

I can see that (although the burden of proof is on the state) it might be difficult to prove that you have not done anything naughty. Never-the-less you are not liable for the actions of others (bar your own minors to a degree).

I have open networks and dont care what people do so long as it doesn't impact upon my bandwidth (ideally I dont want them to do anything illegal). At some point I intend to set up a wifi server on an old linux box running a wifi hot spot server so that I can control ports etc..

anyway as long as they bring it back whats the problem?

Sponsored Links
Back