Pergola lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any whizzy ideas for lighting a pergola. The one I have is large and I want to provide enough light to allow people to see that their pint is empty but not too light as to highlight every spot and pimple. If it could light the structure as a feature it would be a bonus as well. Needless to say there's a budget.

Sponsored Links
Tysrett, tell us the size of the pergola, how it is put together and what the budget is. Also, what is the distance from the pergola to the main building, and to the main intake in the building?

It will be easier to help with that information.

F
the pergola is about 8m x 10m and made from 100mm posts topped with 7"x3" joists in a grid arrangement.
It is attached to the main buliding. The CU is about 8 - 10m away as the rat runs.
thanks
T

Sponsored Links
Public Liability issues then, possibly. Are you a qualified sparky with PLI?

Sorry, maybe I wasn't as clear as I should have been. I'm after ideas about a creative or innovative way of lighting the structure not the mechanics of the installation of it. I thought that you guys in the trade may have come across something similar and found a solution that went beyond say just whacking up floodlights or ugly bulkheads.
rgds T

Tysret, give me a few hours to think about this, I do know a few novel ways to achieve what you want that you can spec to a contractor.

Do you have a budget in mind..it will help to sort this out for you.

F
thanks for that.
We do have a couple of friends of the club who are sparks so budget would only have to cover hardware.
I can't honestly see us being able to run to more than £100 - £200 at the outside for something like this.
rgds
T

Just make sure these friends have PL insurance and issue a cert.

Tysrett, I have been giving this a lot of thought..when I had the time between other things...and I have found it almost impossible to achieve something decent on the budget you have.

HOWEVER, on my way back from Dartford tonight I had a bit of inspiration..

Why not buy three 70W Son floodlights, mount them at ground level, fed in SWA. If you put one in the middle of the three exposed sides at ground level pointing up at an angle toward the middle of the pergola, and cover each with a coloured filter, the effect could be quite nice.

If you were to choose Red, Green and Yellow filters, you would get a pall of white light in the middle, but coloured light on the sides.

The filters may be the killer here, as to get the effect right they would need to be optical colours, not any old red,green,yellow coloured glass or perspex, and they may break your budget.

But, I suppose you could just use blue or green coloured glass in front of the floods to give a nice effect.?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back