Ikea ceiling lights, the earth cable dilemma.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm replacing a ceiling light with one from Ikea.

Light.jpg

It's my understanding that if the light fitting is metal then an earth wire is needed (especially with this kind of light as people will be touching it to direct the spots). So does anyone have any ideas what to do here? Where does that earth wire go?!

A link to the light if that's helpful: https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/barometer-ceiling-track-5-spots-nickel-plated-80262578/

Thanks in advance, all ideas welcome!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
That simple eh?! Thanks. Out of curiosity why the block and not just electrical tape?

Because “electrical” tape becomes unstuck after a year or two. Then the copper conductor that you are wanting to insulate isn’t insulated any more.

Sponsored Links
prisma-tibro-class-II-pedestrian_140925-01.jpg
This symbol should be on the lamp to show it is double insulated, I have looked at pictures and read the instructions can't see any reference to class II or double insulated, although I am sure it is, I expect that sign is on it some where?

The fitting offers reinforced insulation in addition to the basic insulation afforded by the single sheath over the copper conductors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back