pergola with roof (and sides)

17 Mar 2005
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I am looking to build a pergola that will be attached to the wall of my house to cover my decking
I would like to give it a solid roof (shingles, tiles or some type of sheeting made to look like a tiled roof?)
Any suggestions or would I be better to stick to a polycarbonate?
I would like to close in most of the sides with timber or glass but at what point would this then be classed as a conservatory?
And what is the position with a timber conservatory and planning permission?

In my last house I had a decking area with a pergola over with a clear corrugated roof I would like to do the same again but with the sides more enclosed and a more solid roof
I have been looking on the Internet and there are some nice looking enclosed pergolas (but what about planning)
Any advice please.
Sponsored Links
It's called a lean to. as long as you don't take out any windows or doors in the house wall, and don't run electrics into it, then you could do what you want without bothering planning or building control.
But you can get lean to conservatories, sheds, greenhouse, etc
I just don’t want to fall foul of planning
Will a lean to conservatory need planning permission?
I think that the same applies to removing doors / windows between a house to conservatory?
I’m not really building a conservatory but an enclosed deck area maybe completely enclosed so it can be used on rainy days etc
But I would want lighting out there
I will try to post a picture of the kind of thing I am thinking about
But any advice in the meantime is appreciated
A pergola and any other similar garden structure is operational development in terms of planning permission. What it's made of, covered with or leaning against does not matter. Same for a conservatory

In certain circumstances it will be permitted development - check the details, otherwise it will require planning permission
Sponsored Links
Please ignore my username - I use it on financial discussion boards....nothing to do with pergolas or planning permission.

I found the article below which is at the Chelmsford website and underlines the advisability of making enquiries in advance but is informative.

If national legislation covers the subject - as the article says it does - this is a useful indication of the law, but only that, certainty is best so ask the council in advance.

Do I need planning permission?
If you intend to build an outbuilding or other
structure in the garden of your house or flat,
such as a shed, garage, swimming pool,
greenhouse, summer house or pergola etc,
you may need planning permission.
Some work can be carried out without
planning permission – this is known as
‘Permitted Development’. Permitted
Development rights are set out by the
government and specify the circumstances
when planning permission is not needed
Permitted development rights are sometimes
removed by a condition attached to the
original planning permission to build the
house or on a subsequent permission to
extend the house.
The regulations are complex and different
rules apply depending on the type of building
and where it is located.
The aim of this leaflet is to assist you in
deciding whether you are likely to need
planning permission by setting out the
criteria that need to be considered. It is not
conclusive and if you are in any doubt, you
should seek advice before carrying out any
For further information please contact the
Town Planning Customer Service Officer on
01245 606826
If the answer to any of the following questions
is Yes, you will need planning permission:
• Is the property a flat, a maisonette or
used for a business?
• Will the building or structure be used in
connection with a business or for parking
a commercial vehicle?
• Will the building or structure be nearer
to any footpath or road than the original
house and less than 20 metres away
from any footpath or road?
• Will the new building or structure have
a volume of 10 cubic metres or more and
be within 5 metres of the house? If it is,
would the volume created by the new
building together with the volume created
by any previous extensions at the
property since 1948 exceed:
• 50 cubic metres at a terraced
property or at any property in a
conservation area.
• 70 cubic metres for any other
• Note: For this purpose, ‘extensions’
include any buildings or structures within
5 metres of the house with a volume of
10 cubic metres or more.
• Will more than half of the area of your
original garden be covered by
extensions, buildings or other structures?
• Will the building or structure be more
than 4 metres high with a pitched roof or
more than 3 metres high with any other
type of roof?
• If you live in a listed building or a
conservation area, will the new building
or structure have a volume of more than
10 cubic metres?
• Is there a condition attached to the
original planning permission to build the
house or on a subsequent permission to
extend the house, which removes the
permitted development right to build
additional structures

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local