Permanent vs. switched live

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
complying with the 16th edition regs is ONE way to satisfy part P, but as long as it is done safely, then it complies with part P..

you can wire it to another accepted standard and still be within the law..

you have to remember people...

the IEE regs are not legaly binding, they are not law and strict adherance to them does not automatically make an installation unsafe..

complying with the 16th edition regs is ONE way to satisfy part P, but as long as it is done safely, then it complies with part P..

the IEE regs are not legaly binding, they are not law and strict adherance to them does not automatically make an installation unsafe..

You what???
What sort of dangerous advice is that??
Stop talking ****** for the sake of it.
At one time they were not legally binding - but god help you in a court of law if you hadn't complied and you were to blame for an accident.
Now you must comply. Thats why they have BS in the title.

No it does not need to comply with IEE Regs
Sorry???

Care to expand on such a bold statement??

There is as such, no legal requirement to comply with IEE Regs, either under Part P or any other legislation (unless it`s cited in a contract then it becomes so under contract law).
Part P requires it to be done safely and IEE Regs would be one (very good ) way of achieving this but not the only possible way.

Sponsored Links
as you can see, baring work in special locations, replacing damaged cables is not notifiable.. there is no mention of replacing good cables though, so we must assume that it's notifiable since it is not expressly mentioned as being non-notifiable..

Can't agree with you there.
In my opinion it's non notifiable to replace a cable in a bedroom, even if it's a good cable.

It`s non-notifiable to add a socket in a bedroom on an existing circuit either or a light or a ..... owt

as for the OP, twin red or for that matter twin brown, is very easy to distinguish which red wire is which.

One of the wires is insulated with solid red insulation, the other is insulated with white insulation with a red coating, so when viewed from the end on it apears to have a white ring round the copper conductor.

You what???
"the IEE regs are not legally binding, they are not law " is what he said. Seems perfectly clear to me. It's also true.

If you believe it isn't then please refer us to a law which makes them legally binding.

What sort of dangerous advice is that??
It's the truth. If you believe it isn't then please refer us to a law which makes them legally binding.

Stop talking **** for the sake of it.
I don't think he is - he's just telling the truth. If you believe he isn't then please refer us to a law which makes them legally binding.

At one time they were not legally binding
They still aren't. If you believe they are then please refer us to a law which makes them legally binding.

but god help you in a court of law if you hadn't complied and you were to blame for an accident.
If you'd complied, how could you be to blame for an accident? Even if you were to blame, but had complied, do you seriously think that a court would absolve you of all responsibility, even though you were to blame, just because you'd complied with the regulations?

And if you'd not complied, please tell us which law would be quoted by the prosecution when they stood up and said something like "..did fail to comply with the IEE Wiring Regulations in contravention of Section ______ of the ______________ Act".

Now you must comply.
Not true. If you believe you must comply then please refer us to a law which makes them mandatory.

Thats why they have BS in the title.
Nonsense. If you believe that is the case then please refer us to a law which makes them legally binding.

One of the wires is insulated with solid red insulation, the other is insulated with white insulation with a red coating, so when viewed from the end on it apears to have a white ring round the copper conductor.
Never knew that.

In fact, I've not seen cable with solid-coloured insulation for years.

I've been out to the garage especially :LOL:

IMGP2765-1.jpg

thaks for the defense lads... I was busy wraping pressies...

if the regs were legaly binding, then we'd all have to have work done in the new year when the 17th edition comes out..

as for the twin red thing...... you learn something new every day...
not put much twin red in though so never noticed..

as for your photo.. looks like white cores with brown coating on both.. but that might be the camera angle..

yep O/P, dont get sidetracked with BAS going all Joe90 there (some people just want too much evidence when TBH life is too short and all there really asking is for the poor sod on the brunt of there pedantry to be proving a negative)

REPAIRS, ALTERATIONS AND ADDITIONS are NON notifiable unless in a "special location"

jossper wrote:
:
Must be something to do with the phase of the Moon in Uranus

Hey! My anus is pretty big, but you can't get the moon in there!!

Securespark, I didn't want to cause offence, didn't mean Uranus in particular, more Uranuses (Uranii?) generally. Nor did I mean any particular phase, be it red, yellow, blue, brown, grey, black, or limegreen with purple spots.

Sorry chaps, bit drunk, talking ball-cocks

Merry Xmas (hic!)

Paul

yep O/P, dont get sidetracked with BAS going all Joe90 there (some people just want too much evidence when TBH life is too short and all there really asking is for the poor s** on the brunt of there pedantry to be proving a negative)
I'm sorry that you regard a concern for truth and accuracy as pedantry.

What's your approach? Misleading paternalism on the grounds that you know better than the recipients of your "advice" what they can be trusted to know?

And nowhere am I asking for anyone to prove a negative - quite the opposite, in fact - I was asking Barsteward to prove a positive, i.e. to prove that his claim that the Wiring Regulations are legally binding is true.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back