Permission Required or Permitted Dev for Single Storey Rear Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have just purchased a 3 bed mid terraced house in Acocks Green Birmingham and am trying to decide if planning application is required for the following setup.

I am unclear if a brick build outbuilding define the end of the current building so that I can build 3m measuring from there or the external kitchen wall is where to start the 3m from ?
(I have done a similar extension at a different property and did not need planning where I simple replaced outbuildings for a small room but did not extend out, only building regs were needed).

I am also aware that some of the neighbours have built extension similar but they might have built using planning permission.
I am also aware of the 45 degree rule and have to be mindful of this.

The configuration is as follows :
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Kuldip.
01-Douglas-Ground-Floor.jpg

Rear-View_small.jpg

Sponsored Links
Great!, sounds unanimous. Any idea how much plans like this might cost in an area like Acocks Green Birmingham ?

Even though plans don't have to be drawn by computer, I am aware that these plans need to be created to scale.

However, can I presume that the building regs can be drawn like the first image I have previously uploaded ?.

I spoke/email with building regs (Acivico Building Consultancy) and they almost, with hesitation, said the above image was sufficient as they are only concerned that correct building regulations are followed i.e. footings, any lentals, roof etc NOT with scaled drawings, specially with small extensions.!

Thank you.

Plans will cost the same in Acocks Green as they will in Hall Green, Sparkhill, Shirley or Solihull. £400 for crap ones, double for better ones.

Despite what Acivico have told you, the plans need to be accurate and scaled and they are concerned if they can't make head nor tail of them. It's not just about the plans, but about the detail and specification on them.

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for the great answers helps loads.

Also, I ultimately will be converting this to a 6 bed HMO i.e. (3 beds upstairs + two reception rooms + extension) and I am presuming both the extension and creation of en-suites in each room don't conflict.
Planning. I do know for a fact that I do NOT need planning permission for this HMO as its less than 6 Bed on 2 floors. I have confirmed this by emailing a senior planner in Birmingham Planning Dept (who I know from another house conversion).
I also have been in touch with HMO team who advise me that this constitutes an unlicensed HMO because its less than 6 en-suite rooms.

My final question was if I need any party wall documents and if anyone had these, they always appear easy enough but I want to take out all chimney breasts and not to mention a party wall for the extension. Anybody have these documents ?
(I found the attached Party Wall documents on the Government website and am not sure if these are the documents I need. ?)

Thanks in advance for your comments. Kuldip
Both-Douglas-Master-Post-Refurb-Floors-SMALL.jpg

Attachments

• 1_Ack.notice.section.3.pdf
    39 KB · Views: 375
  • 2_Notice.section3.pdf
    40.6 KB · Views: 395
I don't know the rules you are talking about but less than 6 would be 5 or less. Not 6.

Also where are the 2 reception rooms you mention.I only see a kitchen/diner and 6 bedrooms.

Do any other houses have such deep extensions at the rear? How longs the remaining garden?

The rules in question (6 Bed) come from a planning document that was forwarded to me from the senior planner at Birmingham planning dept. I had it spelled out to me in an email. Basically, a 6 bed change does not require change of use from C3 to C4 “Sui Generis”.

Sorry, so there are 3 bedrooms upstairs + the two receptions rooms converted to bedrooms + the extension forming the 6th bedroom.

Yes, a few houses have got extensions reaching to the rear. These gardens are huge, like 15 x 6' fence panel.

Regards Kuldip.

Hi
Yes, I appreciate that about the 7 bed and over being sui generis .

My questions still remains about the party wall ?. If anyone had any standard party wall documents suitable for my scenario (removing chimney) ?.
(I had attached them in my #5 post).

Thanks in advance once again.

Well, an update. I have had an architect come round and he says I can go 6m to the rear on a "Prior Planning Approval" with no fee and just get on with it. this would give me a room of 2.6m x 5.7m (13.11Sqm).
Otherwise its a full planning application with could takes up to a year OMG!.
Anyway, this chap says it will be £750 (inc) for planning & building Reg drawings!. Is that good I am not sure. There would only be fee of approx £135 for the building regs (which includes a the en-suites in the 6 rooms).

Look like that might be the way forward. : )

A planning application for a domestic extension is unlikely to take anywhere near a year - 2 months (3 month max if there are issues) is more likely.
Not sure about his fee;
Building Regs is likely to be more than £135.

I have had an architect come round

Seems like he was still dazed when he came round, as he has given you a bit of nonsense.

You will be charged more than £135 just to check the plans! The site inspections for the extension will be another few hundred pounds, and then there will be fees for the internal alterations. Most likely they will treat it as a whole conversion and charge based on value of the work.

You will need planning permisison to sub-divide a house into other units, and there will be that fee.

And there will be fees for your HMO licence application and inspection.

For a single-storey rear extension??
Yes though I suppose if you are scratching around with nothing else to do then you can survey the property tomorrow or maybe this afternoon, draw up the existing and then the proposed and refine the proposals into something the OP actually wants and will likely get planning, submit it on Friday and presumably your LA who are twiddling their thumbs waiting for your application will approve it in less than the obligatory 8 weeks so yea I guess 2 months does sound plausible! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back