Permitted Development - Do I Need To Ask?

For my extension - single storey, 4m out x 6m wife - I thought I applied for 'permitted development'. Perhaps it was called something else 'neighbour consultation' rings a bell.

Anyway, if you do need to go down this route... it was a really quick and easy. 1 single sided form to fill out. I drew my extension plans by hand with some basic dimensions and used a google maps to show the extension from above.

Sponsored Links
I guess the obvious grey area is when things change. At the moment PD allows you to go out 8m on a detached property - although, subject to neighbourhood consultation, which has to be done via the council anyway. But ignoring that .... if you did a PD extension, and PD rules changed in 10 years, people might be unsure if the extension was ever within PD, if you know what I mean. If you can prove it was, it would at least please somebody, although as you say, you'd have to be a PITA to question it.

It is a bit weird. I can see why a lot of people would advise getting something from the council to say "yep, it's OK". For the property in quesiton (which I may never get) I sent the council planning department a question, asking where there original rear wall exists. I figure that their reply will show that I questioned PD on this date, and records will be kept of what was PD at the time, so that should be enough. .....

But saying all that, I might just say fluck it, and apply for planning permission to do a mega extension and see if they accept it!

Here's another cheeky thought .... if i get the bloody bungalow.....

It has a big roof space, and on quick look, looked like a nice easy to convert roof (big solid trusses, maybe no need for steels etc.)

Anyway, if I extended out and did a dormer roof too, I am guessing that would count as a 2 storey job, and would not be allowed unless under the 4m rule.
But, if I extended out within PD for single story, say 8m, finished the job, and then immediately after did a loft conversion (obviously building the roof so it is ready for a window!) then would that be a cheeky way round getting planning?

Sponsored Links
I guess the obvious grey area is when things change. At the moment PD allows you to go out 8m on a detached property - although, subject to neighbourhood consultation, which has to be done via the council anyway. But ignoring that .... if you did a PD extension, and PD rules changed in 10 years, people might be unsure if the extension was ever within PD, if you know what I mean. If you can prove it was, it would at least please somebody, although as you say, you'd have to be a PITA to question it.

It is a bit weird. I can see why a lot of people would advise getting something from the council to say "yep, it's OK". For the property in quesiton (which I may never get) I sent the council planning department a question, asking where there original rear wall exists. I figure that their reply will show that I questioned PD on this date, and records will be kept of what was PD at the time, so that should be enough. .....

But saying all that, I might just say fluck it, and apply for planning permission to do a mega extension and see if they accept it!

Agreed. I recently had an enquiry from someone wanting to purchase a property which had had a single storey rear extension about 12 years ago. It was probably PD, but there's no documentation to say it was, and the buyer and her solicitor were both pretty worried about it, because if it was being built now, it would require planning permission (because it's connected to an outbuilding). Back in the day, of course, it may well have been PD because it would have been assessed on volume.

It's not a question of people being 'stupid'-regulations change, so for piece of mind a Certificate of Lawfulness is often very sensible. After all, what's £86 when you extension is going to cost thousands?

After all, what's £86 when you extension is going to cost thousands?

That's exactly the point for me. In fact I'm going to pay for it one way or another anyway... If my last house sale's anything to go by then the indemnity I'll have to by to expedite the sales process will be £150 so that'd cover about two PD applications!

Then what is another £84 for full clear unambiguous planning approval looking at it that way. Why bother with a LDC at all.

Me again. Bungalow 1 was snapped up by another buyer!!!! grrr.
But, bungalow 2 is on the cards.
But, bungalow 2 only has 2 bedrooms, and I need 4.
Loft looks ripe for PD conversion, but I do need to find out how much extra roof space is already created from 2 side extensions (garage and extension to bedrooms).
But ... if I bought this place, I need to start building asap, or we'll all live in one bedroom ..... can you apply for the CLD / LDC whatever its called any time? ie. during the build? The only issue is going to be size of dormer, and I have already asked this question to planning (another £50 fee).
Why doesn't all this info come with houses when you look? Would be so handy!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back