Permitted development loft and single storey extension volume limits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help appreciated! We have completed a single storey extension on a bungalow in 2016/17 of 6meters out with permitted development granted.

We now wish to do a loft conversion under 50cubic/m with dormer on back and hip to gable.

Will the single storey extension be taken into consideration for volume limits for permitted development? I can't find anything that states it would but we are worried it might! We have applied under class B and lawful development certificate and feel we meet all the criteria.

Sponsored Links
No as extensions and loft conversions with dormers, etc... are two separate PD classes.

Just a side not and assuming you went down the Neighbourhood Consultation Scheme for the extension?

Yes the single storey extension went through full planning and was subject to neighbours consultation which received no objections so we went ahead and a was fine.

Full Planning is different to PD/NCS so just be weary of that in the future ;)

Sponsored Links
So does that mean we could have done PD for the single storey extension?

Permitted Development but with the Neighbour Consultation Scheme, i.e. Prior Approval is what you would have had to go through for a 6m deep rear extension. Or you went through formal Planning via a Householder application. Irrespective of this, whatever you did or didn’t do for the extension will not affect the PD situation for the loft works.

Lovely thank you! Very helpful and has confirmed that everything I have read (class b of permitted development and all the technical guidance on gov website) has been interpreted correctly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back