permitted development

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
i have built a garage just over 4m high, not a problem as the stick built roof as only just started to be erected so can make 4m high from the higest ground agaist the building. but i am 1m away from the boundary and i have had a visit from the stoke on trent planning enforcement,they told me that i require planning permission but should! not be a problem. but as i'm on a sloping site and the lowest point is the boundary ,if i measure from the highest side which has land against it 1m higher. they are still saying i need planning permission on the grounds that it took engineering works to level off. so it would seem that the goal posts can be moved. so you cannot use permitted development unless they say so. the other point is i have a local coucilor who lives the otherside of me whose land is 1m higher than mine at the boundary but then also slopes another 500mm so when they built a garage directly on the boundary. under their rules that they state planning would be required, in this case as they built up the land, the garage viewed from my house is nearly 5m but from the front entrance to their garage is 3.5m , they have confirmed that it was not required for the councilor hey if your face fits. the other statement i was given was that as i had already extended the house previously i had used up all my rights so permitted development was not allowed to me even if i fully complied as i have a large garden the 50% rule would ned me to built 4 houses just to be close. with all this i have asked for this in writing before i make an appeal. it goes to show that you are always at their mercy i also had a conservatory installed 3 months ago under permitted development rules whichfully complies with everything on the portal but have been told this may also now need planning permission. any other suggestions i can get to assist would be great or clarrifiction that they are actualy interpreting the new rules correctly or incorrectly as should be ok through planning permission is not to say they will get it and it will financialy be a body blow as i had to remorgage just to get the works done.

Sponsored Links
Providing you’ve kept within planning guidelines, you should get retrospective PP unless you get objections. That will mean it goes before the planning committee & once they get involved anything can happen, regardless of weather or not the application is within the rules, particularly if you’ve ****ed off your Councillor neighbour & he’s one of the objectors.

The moral is no matter how sure you are that you don’t need PP, always check & get the answer in writing.

I don't think it will make any difference if the sun is shining, or it's raining Rich.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back