Permitted development side extensions- twice?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi-
I'll keep this short-
We live in a detached single storey house with a lot of land around.
We would like to extend as much as possible without using planning permission.
If all permitted development right rules are adhered to (height, boundaries, eaves, and less than 50% of the surrounding land)
-can we used our permitted development rights for single storey side extension on BOTH ends of our detached house?
Ie 50 % (or less) of the original width of the house to be added to each end? I have seen this is a loophole but can't find evidence of anyone having done it??!?!
Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Yes that's where I first saw it but I can't find evidence of it ANYWHERE else. We don't have any restrictions on our property but have just been refused planning for extending one end (that would have met pd rules)
Don't want to wind them up by submitting a double pd application!
Anyone actually done this?

Also- I see a lot of people saying that these would need to be applied for in stages?? Why?

Sponsored Links
Don't want to wind them up by submitting a double pd application!

You dont submit applications for something that is PD.

And if you have been refused planning permission for something that you claim is PD, then you will certainly win on appeal. Or why not just build it under PD?

I meant the LDC for permitted not application.
I'm sure we would win on appeal but it can take ages and we already had to wait 3 months and a day for the refusal!
Also we want to know mainly- can we use our side extension rights under pd for each end?
Originally we were going to get planning for one end and use pd for the other. Now we have a refusal we are wondering if we can use pd for both ends?
Thanks

If something is PD then you can build as much as you like of it up to the PD allowances.

I understand that. My question is- can I use my side development rights TWICE?
Most house don't have the scope to extend both ends. Portal etc says nothing about this, either for or against.

Thanks for the reply. I was looking for something more solid than just 'yes' because
I can find no evidence anywhere, of authority, for this being the case.

It is unlikely that you will find any authority to confirm your case. However, your situation is not prohibited by the conditions in Part A, so it would be allowed. A house can have two (or more) walls forming parts of separate side elevations, so there is no problem in doing what you propose.

I understand that. My question is- can I use my side development rights TWICE?

I dont think that you do. You are not using your rights twice, but just using your rights.

There is no limit on the number of times you can build under PD. The limits are in the amount you build and the size of the build.

But if I do an extension to one end @ 50% of the width- is that my limit reached OR can I do an extension to the other end as well @ 50% of the width again.

We keep telling you! 50% max. of the original width on one side, and additionally 50% max. of the original width on the other side.
So you could double the width of your house, and it will still be PD.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back