Perspex panels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking to use Perspex as infill panels for a barrier to a flat roof. each panel will be about 1000 x 800, held in place by 2 d clamps top and bottom.

Anyone have experience with this, and know what sort of thickness I need to make them feel fairly rigid. I came across some by chance the other week at the local swimming pool - they had quite a lot of flex when you pushed them - I obviously didnt have a ruler with me, but reckoned to be about 5mm. Obviously they must have been up to the job, but I'd prefer something more akin to glass in stiffness.

I was thinking either 8 or 10mm - any thoughts?

Thanks al!!

Sponsored Links
I take it then that laminated or toughened glass is not an option?
Might be as well inquiring at your local glazing supplier they are bound to hasve some idea.

Sponsored Links
It almost certainly wasn’t Perspex; I would go for toughened or laminated glass but otherwise you need a UV resistant polycarbonate which won’t degrade in sunlight, is strong & shatter proof; price difference might not be as much as you might think. If this is a safety barrier on a flat roof, what you can do will also be controlled by Building Regs.

You can get perspex (acrylic) balustrades Richard C. Just hasn't got the same qualities in terms of appearance and resistance to scratches etc but needs to be properly specified not just buy a bit off the web and hope for the best. I'd think 10mm is more realistic.

You can get perspex (acrylic) balustrades Richard C. Just hasn't got the same qualities in terms of appearance and resistance to scratches etc but needs to be properly specified not just buy a bit off the web and hope for the best. I'd think 10mm is more realistic.

Thanks everyone for your input.

To answer your questions

- yes I'm trying to do it on the cheap - I'm hoping this is a 'temporary' barrier in light of some future plans.
- yes you can get acrylic - and the Fusion range if you google is surprisingly only 6mm acrylic.

I was going for acrylic on the basis of the quote I got from a carpenter who priced up the various options for me (he was doing some other work in the house), and told me the glass would be much more expensive, so I assumed that was the way to go. I found I could get the acrylic for £70 a panel in that size (e.g. plasticpeople).

... but based on your advice here, I went back and took a second look - it seems I can get toughened glass panels for about the same price (e.g. expresstoughening), so thanks for suggesting it - def. the way I'll go, unless there are downsides anyone has for glass over perspex (weight?)

So now the inevitable follow ups:

- what thickness is needed for these sort of panels (which BS applies to home dwellings - do I need to worry about the 1.5 metre 'run-up' rule for example?) Would 6mm be sufficient - it's good enough for lots of standard shower enclosures, and these are after all fairly small panels.

- any thing to watch for buying glass on the web (and yes, I will get a quote from the independent glass shop round the corner as well - I'd rather support the local business if it's not too much of a financial hit).

Thanks, all!

Your chosen supplier needs to determine the thickness. That's their remit.

Indeed, Google Nick Gray in Lichfield. they will be able to quote you on solid poly and acrylic.

Its worth paying an extra 20 quid sheet by going toughened glass polised edges, the proper way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back