Pet friendly PIR'S

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

Just a quickie.

I want to install a wireless alarm in my house when I am all done and would like advice.

My house is a three bed and want to protect front and rear patio doors maybe a pir in the hallway and one on the upstairs landing not sure what else I need but my real biggie is ....

I have two cats and want to know do pet friendly pir's actually work ?

many thanks in advance

Gary

Sponsored Links
Simply gary, for dogs yes, cats NO.

Thanks for that so I should just rely on door contacts then ?

No, i would always advise some form of trap/perimeter protection.

As you may know, cats can climb curtains etc, so a pet immune detector wont be much use.

Cant you put them in a bedroom or something when your out??

Sponsored Links
As above, some detectors say pet "tollerant", a seriously goofed out cat will make a mockery of that.

Shocks, contacts.
Some manufacturers do make a big deal about "pet tollerant" not immune pirs.

You can mask off, so anything below a height will not register. But cats climb.
Anything near a staircase and any pet walks up it triggers.
I have used them with very careful consideration and though.
But have had a couple still trigger.

Get one and leave it on soak test for a while. If it activates the system will just log the activation and not cheese off neighbours. Then if all is well bring them into the system.

What's more important, your security (not experienced a break-in then), or the cats?

Restrict the cats, they'll get used to it.

Seriously it is as mentioned much easier to get a home alarmed using pet sensors with two collie sized dogs than a single small cat.

It can be done but means a lot more consideration.

Whatever you think your cat does when you are in your home forget it when you are out. Domestic cats are like leaopards who sleep in trees. They will jump on top of anything when the owners are not around.
Kitchens are particular fun for them. All your tables and worktops and even on top of your wall units. To prevent cat orientated false alarms then the sensor must point to the area where cats cannot jump up or jump down. I am not sure technically why this happens. Maybe pir sensors have a slow clock rate as their processors are fairly crude and a fast moving cat appears in two places 'at the same time' giving the impression of a larger heat signature. Whatever the reason you have to assume any change in level will be leapt up of down by your cat. This particularly applies in the stairs and hallway. If you have banisters a cats head can squeeze through then the cat will jump through them.

As the other guys have said if ever I have had to return to a home due to false alarms it has always been due to pet friendly sensors and cats , never dogs.

It can be worked round usually with very careful placement but the best solution as mentioned is to restrict the cats movement.
A utility room with a basket and a cat flap is perfectly adequate shelter for a cat while you are out working.
They do not need your living room and flat screen TV or to sleep on your bed.
You won't psychologically damage them by confining them to parts of the home , they are all bonkers anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back