Adding pet PIRs to a installed system

Taken from an American forum, numbered 1 to 6, starts at 1. ends at 6., but you worked that out didn't you?

I apologise for the 'off topic' post, but it was requested.

Typically, most european siren assemblies have the two power wires and two tamper switch wires (which should be identified on either the label on the device, or on the installation sheet). For 99% of typical residential installations, you can ignore the tamper switch (unless you are replacing an existing device that did have them connected to a security zone).

The other alternative is some alarm sounders have pairs of wires setup for in and out wiring for running multiple sounders. Again, this should be identified on your installation instructions.

I'd like to correct something MrRonFL said here, "Typically, most European siren assemblies have the two power wires and two tamper switch wires"

For as long as I can remember we have always had a 4 wire system as mentioned by Ron, but, not used in the way mentioned.

Our 'bell box' has an electronic module with its own stand-by battery, wired as follows, 1. Neg (-) 2. (+) 3. Neg (-) Signal 4. (- or +) Tamper return.

1. & 2 : 12v DC (Hold Off) > if either of these is removed the 'bell' will sound.
3. Neg (-) Alarm signal from alarm panel (we call it an 'End station')
4. (- or +) Anti tamper return to alarm panel (selectable)

In addition we usually have a 5th wire to the module to trigger a Strobe light that used to continue after the end of the Bell Stop Timer, 15mins at to days regulations, this has changed recently to now stop with the bell.

More than likely you are describing something like one of these Reson-8 siren assemblies: https://www.security.honeywell.com/u...)DS_LowRes.pdf

These are not uncommon in the UK and Europe (and there are several brands) but, when all is said and done, they are far from a standard siren. These are intended to be a bit more of a high security device.

Ultimately, for these you have to read the installation instructions and match the siren's connections with what the alarm control is capable of doing.

Reason 8 is a totally standard siren, it even complies with one of the Standards that we have to follow as mentioned in the brochure you link.

EN50131-4 – Security Grade 2, Environmental Class III.

Edit > Sorry I've just realised the Reason 8 is a Security Grade 2 sounder - for G1 & G2 use

Grades
G1. Low risk:
Not likely to be enforced in the UK as it covers DIY-style bells-only systems
G2. Medium risk:
This is first level that will be recognised by insurers and covers the majority of domestic & low value commercial premises. Required as a minimum for Police-calling systems
G3. Medium-high risk:
This covers most commercial & industrial premises, as well as high value domestic premises
NB G3 has to have a 5/6 digit EngCde
G4. High risk:
This is for high security applications, & roughly equates to the old BS7042 high security standard. Banks and above

Not disagreeing with your assessment of your local installation standards. The whole point of my postings in these forums is that the information is generally in the installation manuals for the systems and devices, _and_ these are written with the assumption of basic understanding of electrical/electronic practices.

We can help interpret the info, but the person trying to do DIY installs has to meet us partway.

Quote MrRonFL
"These are not uncommon in the UK and Europe (and there are several brands) but, when all is said and done, they are far from a standard siren. These are intended to be a bit more of a high security device."

They are not intended to be anything, they are an absolutely standard siren, as I said before.

I've been in this business for approx 40yrs so I do know a little about what I write. I never in all that time have seen a, bell, as it was all those years ago or a siren, as now, designed and/or installed in the 4way configuration you suggest we do as standard.

That was/is a totally insecure and backward way of doing things. Even our Grade 1 DIY systems use sounders of the type mentioned.

PS Nothing I have written is an assessment, it's how it is.

Sponsored Links
Hi Europlex,

Many thanks. What a total benny, and he appears to be speaking on behalf of U.S. security. O.K. I'll confess to using a four wire Castle mod yonks ago and that was fully tamperproof, but he is talking out of his proverbials.

If you have no objections, I'll print that off,

Not going off the subject too far, I stood chatting to a chap from Colorado Optics for about an hour or so when Ifsec was in west Kensington, and his take on things, on reflection, seems to fly in the face of everything U.S. security. I also have several U.S. books (what a total waste of money) which I need for a project.

I've read a few articles from Canada also, and they appear to be on the same footing as the yanks.. amazing.

Thanks very much, you're appreciated.

Mine doesn't bother to say anything anymore, with the exception of "Have you put the Wheelie Bin out ?"

Sponsored Links
He is actually the head Moderator (I think) of a US Forum, knows his security, not.

They could start a new site in the U.S. then. SecurityNot.com

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back