Adding pet PIRs to a installed system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wanting to add some pet pirs to my alarm system. It was installed when the house was built by an alarm company. I have rung them and they have quoted nearly £200 to install 3 sensors for us.

I think this is a little steep so before i splash out i was wondering if i could buy some pet friendly pirs from somewhere such as screwfix and install them myself? I know the engineer code for the alarm panel so was wondering if it was just a simple unscrew the current pirs and disconnect and wire up the new ones and it will work?

Any help/advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Not absolutely straightforwards but probably easily done yourself if you've some nouse. There are different sorts of alarm circuits around which terminate and handle 'tamper' differently and you need to make sure that the new PIRs are set up the same way as the existing ones (instructions normally included). Also you're best to pull the fuse for the live feed or the chances are that you'll blow it when wiring up. Easiest if you have the install instructions for the board.

Thanks for the quick response. I have found the engineer manual for my alarm so have all the wiring circuit diagrams etc. (When i say my alarm it is actually for a scantronic alarm panel but they look identical so im assuming the company that installed it just sticks their logo on it).

I know a lot of people do not rate pet pirs at all but i was wondering if yourself or anyone else can recommend any or advise me which one i should go for. It may be a pick of a bad bunch but any help will be appreciated. Ive been looking at the bosch blueline gen2 ones but should i go for scantronic ones?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Cats and dogs can always be locked into the utility room or kitchen, that's the problem solved.

Cats/dogs do not have a problem where they have to spend their time, just provide food/water & their bed. It is not cruel.

Why don't we start with " What pets have you got ?"

Pet pir's appear to be welcomed in the U.S.A. I've read a few comments. But we in Britain have always treated them with trepidation, well most of us anyway. If you have a parakeet or similar, it might be better not to use a pir in it's vicinity. It's your choice really, a pet passive is just that, and It should not cost the earth.

It might be worth taking the advice of Europlex and gradually introducing the pets to a room where they can't set off the alarm. The alternative may be to use horizontal passives which go above the height of the pets, but again it depends on the pets, miniatures have a tendency to climb on the back of furniture during the night ( and day for that matter ) so a 'horizontal' would need to be above that height.

As far as the original set up is concerned, the existing detection devices may be fitted with end of line resistors, and you would need identical resistors to fit in your new pir's. Alternatively, you could resort to conventional tamper, in which case you remove the existing resistors if they are fitted and program accordingly. It is possible to extend any security system. If you need advice on wiring, let us know.

I would not use anything from the USofA as an example. Their ideas of security are a joke, even though they think they are the worlds best at everything.

I'll post an example of this tonight, you'll see what I am getting at.

Quick question before tonight, how long have we used 'bell modules' over here?

I'll show you their thoughts on the matter tonight.

You could get sued for that Europlex. Your smack on, I've got nothing against the Yanks, but they do tend to think they are the best in security, when they are clearly not... we are. Those comments I mentioned earlier were from customers rather than installers, don't know if that makes a difference. To my way of thinking, they should be having the same problems with pet pir's as the rest of the world, but there we are. I'll tune in tonight for your info... looking forward to it.

Take Care.

I've never understood how a (relatively simple) detector - even dual sensing types - could distinguish between a big animal at a dozen feet and a smaller one at a proportionately less distance. Best approach is to keep the sensor and the pet separated by a closed door.

Come on Europlex, I've just tuned in and waiting with bated breath, you can't let us down now.

Dogs easy - they are either small enough to try using a pet friendly pir or they are not. Cats nightmare regardless of their size they seem to know just how to set off your sensors.

It's not just a simple case of swapping a standard pir for a pet fiendly one. The positioning is crucial to avoid false alarms.

You cannot point a pet friendly sensor anywhere an animal may jump so thet means for example you cant point a pir where a cat may jump down stairs or through a bannister or off a table or onto some units etc etc As they jump they present a longer heat signature fooling the pir into thinking they have seen a large image. Cats also jump on windowsills and move curtains etc etc

Of course at the same time as making sure the pets wont set off the alarm you have to ensure the pir still covers the need to provide security cover.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back