Pet Health Plan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't quite know where to begin. I've been stupid, maybe, but more forgetful.

We took out a Pet Health Plan through our vet in November 2019.

The leaflet said we would save money, that it was easy and part of the service would include flea treatments and worm treatments "dispensed quarterly".

Then along came COVID and this arrangement was forgotten.

I recently got in touch with the vet to ask for a refund, less any products or services we had not received. I was told in no uncertain terms that would only refund a portion of what I had paid, a sum of around £160 or so on the condition I continue with the plan

We started paying £13.49/month then according to the woman I spoke to it went up at some point to £14.??.

I was under impression that the vet would ring and arrange collection of the next treatments. At least, I would expect a call after months of no contact, but nothing.

Yes, you may say the onus is on me to call for replacement treatments and the annual jab. But as I say, COVID got in the way and it was completely forgotten about.

Is it unreasonable to request a full refund (after deduction of any products or services they have provided to me)?

Sponsored Links
Our vet carried on working after a fashion as pets don't carry covid. I fork out monthly for jabs and meds. They contacted us as usual on jabs but for meds I have to request and collect them every 3 months. They handled it all with masks and no people allowed in the practice when things were bad. Distancing too. More recently people can go in shortly followed by a notice on the door - go away if your not wearing a mask.

I suppose alot of this depends on your vets but I'd say yours sounds fairly poor.

Our cat has a thyroid issue so has a liquid medicine daily and blood tests at set points, we let the vets know when the liquid is getting low and they prepare it for us to collect and they let us know when the blood tests are required.

Id put in writing to the practice your concerns and point out you've raised it before and things have continued on in the same vein but you'll probably have to be prepared to cut your losses and take out another policy elsewhere there's plenty around, this shouldn't mean you need to change vets practice

Is that a bit like asking for a refund on your car insurance because you have not had a crash?

Sponsored Links
No, if he's on the sort of plan I think he is then the vets are supposed to provide his pets worming and flea treatments at set periods of the year, if they haven't provided them then why should they be entitled to payment?

You'd probably need to look into your paperwork to work out what the original agreement for getting the treatments to you were

Is it actually insurance or a subscription for a service. Read the terms of the agreement, find things that they are supposed to do and haven't and serve notice of breach. I pulled the terms of one such plan and found the obligations on the Vet to be minimal. The contract basically said the Vet decides everything and you just pay. There was also a potentially unenforceable clause regarding paying additional fees if you cancel, yet at the same time specifying an Auto renew.

Last edited:
My impression with the usual vet offerings all are similar. For dogs yearly jabs and flea and worm tablets. They notify the need for the jabs but not the tablets. I suppose if tablets aren't ordered and collected a refund for those should be available. Most of the cost from memory though is the jabs. I switched to paying monthly mostly worming as these days lack can cause the death of a dog and the pet shop over the counter tablets do not do much to the main worm that causes problems.

Is that a bit like asking for a refund on your car insurance because you have not had a crash?
Yes, as said, it's not an insurance policy, but a Pet Plan to spread the cost of flea and worming treatments and annual jabs across the whole year.

As far as the flea treatments etc. go do some research into them.
They are all pesticides and can cause more harm to your dogs than benefit them.
They work by dosing your dog up with poisons before a flea has got anywhere near them, if no fleas/ticks jump on your doggo then they still have poison inside them.

It can cause many issues from convulsions to organ failure/death.
In the states (albeit many more dogs) over 1.5 million dogs have died due to them.

The US FDA website lists the poisons and the drugs it is in.
There is currently an FDA issue to prompt withdrawal of a specific anti flea collar due to being linked to many deaths.

I went holistic with my 2 dogs preferring to use preventative measures and treat them "if" they get fleas rather than dose them up with poison.

For worming, freshly ground pumpkin seeds on the mornings food for about a week works well and has done so for decades.
For fleas a teaspoon of coconut oil daily, given by hand as a treat (they love it) not only aids a good coat but if a flea bites it dislikes the taste, packs its bags and leaves.
IF they do get fleas on them sprays of neem oil in water, rubbed into the coat will zap the little sods.

There is a FB group (Search Bravecto nexguard)

I used to use various things for flea but I use the one the vet provides now - it is approved by the FDA. The best other treatment I found was a certain spray that killed fleas and eggs. Used on the floors in the house now and again. Especially carpets.

Worming is tricky. Lung worm has been around for some time and it is also in most areas of the UK now. It's lethal and not touched by many worm treatments. Some people may think vets use it as a scare tactic but sadly it is about and it is a real problem.

Is it unreasonable to request a full refund (after deduction of any products or services they have provided to me)?

Just because your animal wasn't ill, doesn't mean you are due a refund, they took the risk and it was them taking the risk you were paying for. You could perhaps ask for a refund on the flea and worm treatments, but I would not expect you will would get the refund.

You can't insure your house, then expect them to refund you if it doesn't get burgled or burn down.

This is not an insurance, it is purely a means to spread payment of flea and worm treatments and vaccinations across the year.

This is not an insurance, it is purely a means to spread payment of flea and worm treatments and vaccinations across the year.

In that case it sounds awfully expensive, for just those. If they have provided neither, then you have a case for a near full refund. I do think the incidence of fleas on dogs is overstated and a nice little earner - I have never had fleas on any of our dogs over many decades.

Just had our pet insurance renewal come in for out 10 year old cocker. £600 a year. Dunno year whether I’m going to self-insure or not yet. Will have to think about it.

Just had our pet insurance renewal come in for out 10 year old cocker. £600 a year. Dunno year whether I’m going to self-insure or not yet. Will have to think about it.

It's a risk, a gamble - but keep in mind both the insuring company and the vet have to earn a profit out of the insurance subscription you pay. Often the insurance company will make a lot of money out of the deal.

Sponsored Links
Back