Petrol and diesel car sales ban brought forward to 2035

Sponsored Links
FFS.
Is the infrastructure going to be in place to support 100% electric cars? Are the cars good enough yet for long journeys?

Stupidity.

Is the infrastructure going to be in place to support 100% electric cars?

at cutover date, there will not be 100% electric cars

Unless for some reason people have already decided to scrap all their petrol ones.

at cutover date, there will not be 100% electric cars

Unless for some reason people have already decided to scrap all their petrol ones.
Yes, I realise that. But a car lasts, what, 10-15 years if lucky? Without being able to buy anything other than electric (and probably not being able to buy the fuel easily by then either), what happens after?

For example, a block of flats in London may not have designated parking spaces, which many of them don't. People park wherever they can when they get home, that's how I used to! How on earth is someone able to park and plug in their cars?

The whole infrastructure needs to be in place BEFORE stopping making these cars imo. Seeing how long it takes do a simple roadwork in the UK, I just cannot see this happening before those old cars die a death.

Sponsored Links
The whole infrastructure needs to be in place BEFORE stopping making these cars imo.

With a deadline in place, it becomes easier to make the business judgement on investing in infrastructure.

It wouldn't work if we set a deadline without deciding on access rules, voltage, or plug type.

I love my i10. I bet it will last another 10 years. Maybe I should buy another 2 and bubble wrap them?
Or bubble wrap something bigger, then have fun bombing about the place in a brand new petrol car when everybody else is driving their remote control cars.

But seriously, is electric even greener here? Pal in Switzerland has an electric car, but Swiss energy is all hydro or nuclear. We still burn carbon and methane....

I love my i10. I bet it will last another 10 years. Maybe I should buy another 2 and bubble wrap them?
Or bubble wrap something bigger, then have fun bombing about the place in a brand new petrol car when everybody else is driving their remote control cars.

But seriously, is electric even greener here? Pal in Switzerland has an electric car, but Swiss energy is all hydro or nuclear. We still burn carbon and methane....
Stops car exhaust fumes..not ideal but seems a forward step..until we have re cycle issues with Lithium

Electric cars are fit for purpose now and increasingly cheaper to own. Tesla Model 3 performance is around 50k and does 0-60 is 3.2 and a top speed of over 160mph. With a range not dissimilar to a petrol car of similar performance. (300+ miles).

If you look at the developments of power cell tech over the last 20 years. We should be seeing cars with 1/3 as many cells needed for the same range and performance.

Electric cars are fit for purpose now and increasingly cheaper to own. Tesla Model 3 performance is around 50k and does 0-60 is 3.2 and a top speed of over 160mph. With a range not dissimilar to a petrol car of similar performance. (300+ miles).

If you look at the developments of power cell tech over the last 20 years. We should be seeing cars with 1/3 as many cells needed for the same range and performance.

Unless I get a lot of numbers on the Euromillions, that amount will always be unachievable for me, even if I wanted spend that much. Add that to the reports today on R2, that residuals are very strong now, the secondhand electric car market will not offer any comfort to many people either.......

Not very useful for popping to the shops or driving to work though. Why do they obsess with making cars (built for the road) that go so fast?

Unless I get a lot of numbers on the Euromillions, that amount will always be unachievable for me, even if I wanted spend that much
Ditto. £50k is a stupid amount of money for most. I actually would be ashamed if I spent that kind of money on a car, even if I had it.

Unless I get a lot of numbers on the Euromillions, that amount will always be unachievable for me, even if I wanted spend that much. Add that to the reports today on R2, that residuals are very strong now, the secondhand electric car market will not offer any comfort to many people either.......

Same here. My i10 cost me £1700, £30 tax £200 insurance, tank of petrol is £30 and lasts me about 2 weeks.
So cost over 5 years is .... £6750

A second hand (breaking the "never buy second hand batteries" rule) Nissan leaf costs about £10k, with insurance on top. And bigger electricity bills.

I'll stick with my i10 for now. Might upgrade to an i20 in a few years ...

I suppose banning petrol cars is a bit more radical than when they stopped selling leaded petrol.

The good old days when you could buy 2star, 4star and 5star

That was when you had to take off the points, give em a bit of a rub with emery paper and clean the distributer cap.

Sponsored Links
Back