Petrol and diesel car sales ban brought forward to 2035

Cos half the fekin world's population is mental...160mph.60mph in 3seconds...Silent apart from a bit of tyre noise....What could Possiblyyy go wrong
how about making them driverless -Im sure that will be a thing in 15 years time.

Sponsored Links
Electric cars will eventually add about 5GW to the demand on the grid, but I doubt we'll see that increase by 2030

Hinkley point C is to be coming on stream in 2025

but given that the infrastructure is being built by a foreign business, I wonder what that says about the future of UKs move to electric cars. It sounds like electricity will become very expensive (Ive no idea, not done any research, just surmising)

Leo Varadkar has announced Ireland are doing the same by 2030. I suspect he'll be gone by next week though.

Depending on how you use your car, hybrid is not necessarily a good choice.
We went over to hybrid for much of our fleet some years ago. Queue a lot of complaints about awful fuel economy.
Basically, our guys do a lot of motorway miles, which don't suit the small petrol engines in the hybrids. We'd have been better off (double the fuel economy) sticking with diesel.
Yep. A few friends have Prius and my mrs gets similar mpg out of her 435d convertible which is a lot more fun to drive.

Sponsored Links
I saw something somewhere (cant remember) about they are trying to use old nuclear fuels to make batteries from that never need charging, well that would sort the car power out now wouldn't it. :)

just a consideration?

I was a "Company Car Driver" working for a well known Insurance Company, I had a fuel card, a Ford, then a Vectra then a VW. plus loads of "hired Cars" all Diesels, I still drive one [A diesel] albeit a very modern one that can enter the restricted zones free of the charges.

I was charged with covering all of Scotland, yes all of it, including the Islands. Imagine being paid to "tour Scotland"

At the same time I was also covering Northern Ireland and all the post codes around Carlisle. Northern Ireland was a flight and a series of hire cars.

The miles traveled in one day, one week, one month were eye watering.

For such "Company Drivers" the range of Electric Vehicles will have to rise exponentially to make them acceptable under the conditions above.

To make Eco Friendly driving to a "Company Car Driver" covering 50K - 90K miles per year could [shall I call it] stretch batteries a wee bit???

Ken.

To make Eco Friendly driving to a "Company Car Driver" covering 50K - 90K miles per year could [shall I call it] stretch batteries a wee bit???

To be honest, the car's batteries should be the least of your worries. Your batteries however....
I can't imagine a company being allowed to justify those sort of mileages nowadays : it's dangerous for both the driver, and other road users.

it's dangerous for both the driver, and other road users.

Totally agree, but once you are on the roundabout, with good money ??? it is difficult to jump of??

Remember, Company Cars do NOT have Tachographs.

And think of the Company Drivers that are relying on "Commission"??? Or the "Self Employed"???

Glasgow / Leeds / 5 or 6 Hour intense meeting / Glasgow driving each way, in one day, not any more for me, thanks??

Well in the summer in the future on a windless day when all the wind turbines stop the roads will be empty apart from horses and bicycles !

Oh if Beeching didn't have his wicked way can you imagine if properly managed and run what a superb transport infrastructure we could have had !

There's talk of some old lines opening up.

Well in the summer in the future on a windless day when all the wind turbines stop the roads will be empty apart from horses and bicycles

Unless somebody thinks of a way of fitting electric cars with some kind of storage battery. Do you think that might be possible?

Totally agree, but once you are on the roundabout, with good money ??? it is difficult to jump of??

Remember, Company Cars do NOT have Tachographs.

And think of the Company Drivers that are relying on "Commission"??? Or the "Self Employed"???

Glasgow / Leeds / 5 or 6 Hour intense meeting / Glasgow driving each way, in one day, not any more for me, thanks??

I agree.

However, while the cars do not have formal tachos, they do have informal ones ; the boss, and the driver (who might be one and the same).
Quite rightly in my opinion, such "working practices" are treated the same way as unguarded machinery, untrained and unsupervised workers, etc.
Not much use in anyone claiming "I was knackered" after the event, when someone had been seriously injured or killed .
(And yes, I too chased the money some years ago, but no longer do so).

I saw something somewhere (cant remember) about they are trying to use old nuclear fuels to make batteries from that never need charging, well that would sort the car power out now wouldn't it. :)
I bet they would all be bought by Iran..

just a consideration?

I was a "Company Car Driver" working for a well known Insurance Company, I had a fuel card, a Ford, then a Vectra then a VW. plus loads of "hired Cars" all Diesels, I still drive one [A diesel] albeit a very modern one that can enter the restricted zones free of the charges.

I was charged with covering all of Scotland, yes all of it, including the Islands. Imagine being paid to "tour Scotland"

At the same time I was also covering Northern Ireland and all the post codes around Carlisle. Northern Ireland was a flight and a series of hire cars.

The miles traveled in one day, one week, one month were eye watering.

For such "Company Drivers" the range of Electric Vehicles will have to rise exponentially to make them acceptable under the conditions above.

Ken.
If someone is stuck doing that sort of epic milage then battery EVs probably make more sense rather than less. The main problem with EVs is the price at the moment, it's falling fast but still has a long way to go. You need to do a lot of miles to make up for the higher purchase price.

With a Model S long range you can get 300-350 miles on a charge. Assuming a full charge at the end of the day you'd need one or two fast charges along the way. Depending on how far you'd actually have to do those could be 20 minutes or as much as 40-60 if you need close to a full charge, so notably slower than filling the tank and having a toilet break.

Of course if you're actually doing the Highlands of Scotland away from the Supercharger network then it quickly goes from possible to not possible. It also assumes you're staying at home with a charger or a hotel with a charger.

Given the 0% BIK rates for EVs from this April I'm expecting a huge number of EVs will be used for this in the next few years.

The model 3 is possibly a more sensible option, slightly shorter range at 250-300 miles but even faster charging.

Sponsored Links
Back