Petrol and diesel car sales ban brought forward to 2035

The whole infrastructure needs to be in place BEFORE stopping making these cars imo. Seeing how long it takes do a simple roadwork in the UK, I just cannot see this happening before those old cars die a death.
It's a bit like the car industry and Just In Time production (see what I did there?). You need enough charging points to power the cars on the road at any time.

Having tesco rewire half its spaces into charging points will probably happen, but doing it now is a bit excessive. Ripping out some of the Petrol pumps at your local petrol station and sticking in fast chargers also might go down badly.

Plus, spending the money on it now would be silly economics. The price of these chargers is falling as more of them are built and the speed they can operate is going up.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
But is it a simple task ? Ever played Scalextric ? Takes some getting used to the linear power delivery.
At least some of them have a more sensible mode where the acceleration can be stepped down to a more sane level.

It's a similar issue to using a hot hatch to drop the kids off at school, if you have a heavy foot you could be going far too fast very quickly. Although it is slightly worse in performance EVs as they don't have any turbo lag and the torque is there in milliseconds, so they do the 0-30 part even faster than you'd think.

Sponsored Links
But is it a simple task ? Ever played Scalextric ? Takes some getting used to the linear power delivery.
Rofl.....you should not be anywhere near a car if you are comparing it to scalextrix and cannot keep to 20mph....how are you ever going to park the damn thing!?

Cos half the fekin world's population is mental...160mph.60mph in 3seconds...Silent apart from a bit of tyre noise....What could Possiblyyy go wrong
They have to have noisemakers now for when they're under 30mph or so.

Even the cheap ones are £30K +....
The Zoe, which is one of the cheaper ones is a bargain 25k. The MG ZS EV is a mere 22.5k. But the leaf does start around 30k and the Model 3 around 40k.

Not an i10 for 10.5k, not even close. But give it 5 years and they'll be much much closer.

No need, it's disappointing how much noise tires and wind noise make. At low speeds EVs are nearly silent but once you're over 30 they make enough that you can tell they are there.

Indeed, unless you're revving the engine (pointlessly, or accelerating) above about thirty, the average bystander will only hear the tyre noise.

The big oil companies are spending a lot of money on development, test and trial of charging stations.

They have a lot of money, a lot of outlets and a lot of experience.

They don't intend to collapse when petrol stops.

But they're not going to build them much before the market is ready. If the government is telling the truth (who knows?) they now have a date to build into the plans. If the government is competent (who knows?) it will have set the date after consulting with suppliers and manufacturers to ensure it is achievable.

The big car makers have the same and are doing the same. They intend to have a mass market. They don't intend to be charging Tesla prices.

see also https://www.investorschronicle.co.uk/shares/2019/05/23/oil-majors-head-downstream-for-ev-assets/

Last edited:
Nope

"A ban on selling new petrol, diesel or hybrid cars in the UK will be brought forward from 2040 to 2035 at the latest, under government plans."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51366123
Interesting. The report I heard that morning (also BBC) was that plug-in hybrids wouldn't be banned. They may have changed the message since then.

Reports also suggest hydrogen will/could be an option instead of EVs.

I can't find a link for the official government announcement. Surely there will be a statement or press release?

The Telegraph says

"The sale of petrol and diesel cars will be banned five years earlier than planned, under a climate change drive to be unveiled by Boris Johnson.

The Government announced in 2017 that it would impose a ban on diesel and petrol cars from 2040 as part of an effort to tackle air pollution.

However the Prime Minister is said to be speeding up the plans with a view to implementing the ban by 2035. "

Is it a bit of worthless flannel with no actual policy behind it?

Maybe they're just throwing a crust to the ducks to see if they'll eat it.

Is there anything going on they want to distract us from?

Interesting. The report I heard that morning (also BBC) was that plug-in hybrids wouldn't be banned. They may have changed the message since then.

Reports also suggest hydrogen will/could be an option instead of EVs.
I think the previous ban (scheduled for 2040) didn't also cover hyrids but this one does.

Technically you can include Hydrogen cars in the EV category as they tend to use fuel cells which generate electricity. It's why you sometimes see People mentioning BEV (Battery Electric Vehicle) and HEV (hydrogen electric vehicle).

I'm not convinced by the HEV proposals as they're so far behind BEVs in numbers and cost (to build and to run). But they may have a niche somewhere.

Depending on how you use your car, hybrid is not necessarily a good choice.
We went over to hybrid for much of our fleet some years ago. Queue a lot of complaints about awful fuel economy.
Basically, our guys do a lot of motorway miles, which don't suit the small petrol engines in the hybrids. We'd have been better off (double the fuel economy) sticking with diesel.

well at 63-70 mpg at best ....i like my 1.4 skoda (vw) Tdi diesel..albeit a 80ps power rating...accelleration very moot!!...still cruises at 70+...wont say what though..:)
actual winter mileage just now is 53-56 depending on getting a good warm up
i use a diesel additive to improve cleanliness and raise cetane number...
my daughter and son in law (taxi-man) both use skoda's...had a vw golf before and the skoda is like sitting in the same seat
cheers and thanks
geof

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back