Petrol and diesel car sales ban brought forward to 2035

I can't find a link for the official government announcement. Surely there will be a statement or press release?

The Telegraph says

"The sale of petrol and diesel cars will be banned five years earlier than planned, under a climate change drive to be unveiled by Boris Johnson.

The Government announced in 2017 that it would impose a ban on diesel and petrol cars from 2040 as part of an effort to tackle air pollution.

However the Prime Minister is said to be speeding up the plans with a view to implementing the ban by 2035. "

Is it a bit of worthless flannel with no actual policy behind it?

Maybe they're just throwing a crust to the ducks to see if they'll eat it.

Is there anything going on they want to distract us from?

trade deals and the NHS!!

Sponsored Links
I can't find a link for the official government announcement. Surely there will be a statement or press release?

The Telegraph says

"The sale of petrol and diesel cars will be banned five years earlier than planned, under a climate change drive to be unveiled by Boris Johnson.

The Government announced in 2017 that it would impose a ban on diesel and petrol cars from 2040 as part of an effort to tackle air pollution.

However the Prime Minister is said to be speeding up the plans with a view to implementing the ban by 2035. "

I think a lot of it will be so they can go to COP26, and say they are doing all these things.

Including proposals for carbon capture. But the lead time on that would be huge owing to the scale of the job.. Pledging a few million for it will cover a study, but billions would be needed to actually do it.

The Telegraph says

I think a lot of it will be so they can go to COP26, and say they are doing all these things.

Including proposals for carbon capture. But the lead time on that would be huge owing to the scale of the job.. Pledging a few million for it will cover a study, but billions would be needed to actually do it.

Sponsored Links
I feel I should get rid of my car, I've managed a whole 340 miles in it since Feb last year. 240 of those were on 2 journeys.

I do a lot more video conferencing now than I did in my younger years. In my 20s it was actively encouraged to drive to a client in the north, do a days work and then drive home. 3-400 miles easy. All before speed cameras and largely you could cruise at speeds that you wouldn’t drive at now.

It was all about maximum billing hours to rise to the top. Now that would be a law suit waiting to happen.

Interesting. The report I heard that morning (also BBC) was that plug-in hybrids wouldn't be banned.

Much as I love the Beeb, I've found that they are factually inaccurate with some regularity. While apparently trivial, I often find details such as football transfer fees change by five or ten million, from one sports bulletin to the next (less than thirty minutes apart).

Apparently EV's have all the gadgets in too, so speed limiters and cruise control.
Hopefully before too long the speed limiter will be automatic upon entering different speed areas/roads.
Then keeping to 20mph will be automatic.

I feel I should get rid of my car, I've managed a whole 340 miles in it since Feb last year. 240 of those were on 2 journeys.
Be cheaper for a train wouldn't it?! Still, I like the freedom of a car, wouldn't want to be without one.

I do a lot more video conferencing now than I did in my younger years. In my 20s it was actively encouraged to drive to a client in the north, do a days work and then drive home. 3-400 miles easy.
Yes, I did those days too. Can remember driving from Brighton to Liverpool and back just for a meeting that took 2 hours, must be about 500 miles? And drove to Edinburgh a few times from Brighton too, but not just for a day. I certainly don't miss that kind of work any more.

I like diesels, maybe we should take a leaf out of the Germans book and just pretend the emissions are really low, then write a letter to our kids.

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news...he-chose-steak-over-the-planet-20190426185074

A LETTER by a father to his baby daughter explaining why he chose roast dinners, frequent flying and a fast car over her future has gone viral.

More than 5.5m people have read 36-year-old Norman Steele’s moving address to his nine-month-old daughter Jasmine in which he spells out why he decided to do whatever he liked and leave her to deal with the consequences.

In the tender and personal letter, Steele said: “My darling daughter, by the time you read this, sea and temperature levels will have risen to degrees that make human life barely tolerable.

“You might be asking yourself what I, your father, did to avert this catastrophe. Well, I considered becoming vegan. I wrestled with it. Then I thought, *******s to that.

“I could have given up driving. But I had an Alfa Romeo 4C coupe, given six stars by Jeremy Clarkson. Great handling, smooth transmission. Honestly it’s a joy just to run to the shops.

“As for plane travel, well, it’s hot all the time for you but you must remember this used to be a bloody cold country. I needed my summer holidays and my winter break in Jamaica.

“So while life may be tough for you, in the wasteland we’ve made of our future, know that I love you like I loved steak, driving and minibreaks in Sardinia. A lot. Good luck with it all. Dad.”

The roads were a lot easier those days though ; far less traffic , no speed cameras ( you only had to look out for the rozzers, who had discretion and sense if you were lucky / charming!)

Be cheaper for a train wouldn't it?!

It's because I take the train everywhere that I have little to no need for one. Awful train ride, nearly as bad car journey. But in truth I don't really need one at the moment.

Sponsored Links
Back