Petrol/Diesel ban from 2040

Sponsored Links
If you are wondering why google are developing driverless cars. Where is the one place and time they can't feed you ad content? When you are driving.

On the impact of automation. I'm not sure the answer to fewer boring jobs is communism. Somebody has got to design and build all this stuff.

Last edited:
I doubt if Google are developing driverless cars to just send you more adverts, they'd have bought out the BBC to be able to add more revenue to their coffers. But I'm not sure whether Amazon, Apple or Googel will achieve world domination soon, and set themselves up as a political party as the next step.

In Startreck, money was removed as a status symbol, and people worked for their personal develoment, but they failed to explain how they made money to keep the system going, nor how they managed to afford spaceships that were bigger than tankers. Startreck has predicted many things that have come to pass, but I don't think utopia is going to be one of them, and Communism certainly won't take the worl forward.

There is a link between labour and capital. You exchange your labour for capital and then use that capital to maximise your own welfare / utility.

If through robots we break that link such that automation and AI makes even the mundane tasks obsolete we have a conundrum on our hands. Who buys all the products and services of automation if they don't have jobs and thus income to buy them?

Now we have always had a paradox at the heart of capitalism -
https://www.thersa.org/events/2014/04/the-contradictions-of-capitalism-

What people still do not understand is the nature of fiat money. The money in circulation today in the UK is backed by nothing, it's simply a promise - its your faith in that note that gives it value. Everyone should learn about the theory of money and fractional reserve banking.

Sponsored Links
Strange that the government announcing that only new electric cars will be on sale after 2040, also announced the decision to stop the electrification of the Midland Mainline railway route. You'd have thought that they would have encouraged the electrification of the railways ???

to get worried about the lack of gold backing it up.. Then there are crypto currencies to worry about too. I doubt anyone will care much about clearing rates in 20 years time.

2040 is not that long, when its a major change over from combustion to electric whith not enough power stations to cope. and batterys milage is low, and recharge is long.
more realistic would be hybrid, run on diesel, petrol, on motor ways, long distance, and switch to electric when entering in built up, or towns , city's.
until such time you have the tech and infrastructure for all electric.
electric stations, instead of petrol stations, exchanging cassette type batteries. so you wont need charging gear at home.
i suspect by 2040, maybe sooner, will be cashless, electronic payments only, so they will track you easy, so stealing car batterys wont be a good idea. mind you stealing is never good.

robots are taking peoples jobs ,it needs to be regulated, its a false economy.
i know work is a pain, but no work is more pain.

for me hybrids (like hybrid bikes) are the worst of all worlds. Maintenance of ICE weight of electric.

The latest Prius has a solar panel on the roof, and that could be extended to the whole surface of the car.

This was done at least 20 years back that I know of on an Audi S8 "S" plate. Had a solar panel in the sunroof that topped up your batteries, ran the electrics used while standing and turned on and powered the AC if it got warm in the car to keep it nice and cool for when you returned.

Jon

What people still do not understand is the nature of fiat money. The money in circulation today in the UK is backed by nothing, it's simply a promise - its your faith in that note that gives it value. Everyone should learn about the theory of money and fractional reserve banking.

I've being saying this for years. Few people realise that everything they have has no real intrinsic value and that everything is just a promissory note from the BoE. If things fail then you can still lose it all and have no true value to anything.

The "value" of a certain note is only perceived. If I have £200 in twenties in my wallet I don't have £200 to spend I actually gave 10 £20 IOU notes that the BoE will promise to pay the recipients with. But what will the BoE pay the recepients in should they choose to call in the IOU?

Of course it does.
As long as you own something you can trade it for something else that you want or need like medicine, food, water, cattle, horses, metal, gems, spices.

You're right and I probably used the wrong word with intrinsic but we still only live in a barter society. How would you "realise" any wealth we have?

Sponsored Links
Back