Petrol leak Mitsubisshi Shogun

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a little worried and would appreciate advice please

I have a Mitsubishi Shogun GDI Elegance 5 door petrol 2 ltr year 2005 I have recently brought this so dont know the history

I overfilled it with petrol and there is a smell outside the car of petrol and it has remained there for over 24 hours
The only evidence of a leak is when I reversed the car I noticed a petrol mark on road and when I filled up I noticed petrol leaking onto the rear tyre by filler cap

Smell is worse at rear near filler cap

Is this likely to be a big job or should I just leave it and assume it is an overspill from filling

I noticed there is also a considerable amount of rust on the underside of car

Would appreciate any / all comments please
Thanks for reading .... Bill

Sponsored Links
Not a Shogun but I had a car (proton Mpi) that the overflow pipe (or breather - whatever) had rusted away and if I overfilled it then I would suffer the same fate as you ...But not for long !!

Cure ?

Bought a new car !!

Rust:

Pressure wash off all loose deposits, wire brush where you feel the need. Cover with newspaper/masking tape the stuff you dont want to paint (flexible brake pipes, exhaust etc)
Paint with an oil based primer, use 2 pack primer that requires hardener if you want. Just be careful of the fumes, at least do the work in a well ventilated area.
Paint with an oil based top coat again use 2 pack if you want a proper job, but household would be OK.

Then when full hardened apply a liberal coat of Under body sealer like Schutz. There is an applicator available that makes applying it easy. http://ebay.eu/198Jq52

Painting is best done with a long handled brush or if you want to go for a spray gun, though you wont get the same coverage with the gun.

Its a labour of love .................................

Sponsored Links
Mursal

It sounds like lots of hard work I guess I will take to someone to do for me if they dont charge a lot

Thanks very much for taking trouble to answer

Ch
Thanks very much I imagine to replace filler pipe is very expensive ?

Re Import I really dont know is there a way to tell ?

Cylon
Thanks very much
I hope it is not that drastic re replace car

re your experience did the problem go away if it wasnt over filled ?

Back