Petrol smells inside car

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a 98 Vectra 1.8 Arctic, the problem I have is that when idling I get a strong smell of petrol fumes in the car, it seems to be coming in through the vents, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
TYNEPL

Sponsored Links
Does it happen when you have just started the car in the morning, or do you also get it after a run when the engine and cat are hot?

have you got the heater fan blowing fresh air into the car?

Is there any damage e.g. to the doors or boot lid/hatch?

I presume at this age you do not have any rust, and the car passed its last MoT test OK.

If you have a sniff round the outside of the car with the engine running, does the smell come from the exhaust, or is it under the bonnnet?

I hope there is no petrol dripping out on the ground? And the tank has not been overfilled so that it somes out near the filler cap?

I have a R reg 1.8 Vectra, I have noticed a smell of petrol when stationary in traffic. I have not been able to locate the source of the smell as it's only noticeable inside the car.
Also , and this may, or may not be related, the revs "hang" when changing gear below 2000 rpm . Also if you keep the throttle open at 2000rpm when stationary and then release the throttle, the revs "hang" and then drop to idle speed.
I have fitted an air idle valve, and have now been told it could be the t.p.s (throttle position sensor), no faults are showing on the ECU.
Has anyone had this ?
Ian

Same as last posting, with corrections

I have a R reg 1.8 Vectra, I have noticed a smell of petrol when stationary in traffic. I have not been able to locate the source of the smell as it's only noticeable inside the car.
Also , and this may, or may not be related, ( THIS SHOULD READ , below approx. 2000rpm the revs will rise to approx, 2500-3000 when the clutch is dipped , whilst changing gear. above 2500 this doesn't happen)Also if you keep the throttle open at 2000rpm when stationary and then release the throttle, the revs "rise" and then drop to idle speed.
I have fitted an air idle valve, and have now been told it could be the t.p.s (throttle position sensor), no faults are showing on the ECU.
Has anyone had this ?
Ian :oops:

Sponsored Links
Hi crafty1289

Thanks for the constructive reply , really helped to solve the problem.

Ian :LOL:

look where the fuel lines come from the back of the car into the engine bay, where the pipes change to rubber it tends to crack on the underside of them and petrol can then seep out.Feel for any damp patches on the piping.It dosent need to be pouring out for it to smell strongly. Try this website for your other problem: www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk it is very helpful for vaux related problems.

Thanks for the idea, tried your suggestion, but still have petrol smell, was worth the effort, (probably needed new pipes at this age).

windhill said:
...this may, or may not be related, the revs "hang" when changing gear below 2000 rpm . Also if you keep the throttle open at 2000rpm when stationary and then release the throttle, the revs "hang" and then drop to idle speed.
Has anyone had this ?
Ian

I have noticed that my 04 reg Astra does this for a second or so also, but as it does not cause me any hassle I have never done anything about it.

Sponsored Links
Back