Petrol Spill On Carpet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi first off I apologise this is not about my car, but I thought it would be a good place for answers,

In my home there has been a strong smell like some kind of fumes, and it has been driving me mad untill the other night the penny finally dropped lol.
Over a year ago I was decorating and the house was a riot, and everything got shoved into what used to be my daughter's room when she stayed over, long story short among those things was a petrol can lol I know a petrol can in the house.

Anyway untill the other night I just realised that some petrol must have spilled on the carpet, hence the smell and the smell was always amplified when the heating was on, but bare in mind the room is seldom used.

Anyway I looked at various ways to clean the stain and they include cat litter, coffee, etc to take the fumes out, but is this pointless now as the spill is over a year old, should I just through out the carpet,and if I do will the petrol have soaked into the wood as well, I have ply wood on top of My floor boards so I would prefer not to have to rip one of the sheets out if not necessary because it's nailed down.

Anyway after realising this I want to do what is best because God knows how much harm this has done breathing in the fumes all the time without realising thanks.

Sponsored Links
The stain may well be there but the fumes, surely, will have long gone......could it be something else?
Petrol is likely to destroy carpet fibres and backing, so I reckon that's for the great heave.
John :)

The stain may well be there but the fumes, surely, will have long gone......could it be something else?
Petrol is likely to destroy carpet fibres and backing, so I reckon that's for the great heave.
John :)

NO definitely think it's the carpet and the fumes are still there, reason I know there there is if I shut the room door the smell is almost gone, the second I open it and the smell is everywhere,

And that smell was there for over a year and I never clicked on lol, untill the other night I remembered about the decorating, and the spill I checked the carpet found the stain smelled it, and there was definitely a smell of petrol not as strong when it's fresh though but it was there, so I shut the door, and that night the heating was on and there was no smell.

The door in the room was always open lol,I had no reason to close it so the smell was always there constintanly, I could smell on my clothes hands and it was driving me mental, but the carpet is not burnt, but it's going just wondered if the petrol would soak into the wood as well though rather not chuck the wood out as well if not needed.
And if the carpet goes and the smell is still there then I am totally snookered lol.

can you take the carpet up, put it somewhere else safely and then check the room later for the smell?

Sponsored Links
can you take the carpet up, put it somewhere else safely and then check the room later for the smell?
Yes I could thanks but don't mind throwing the carpet out if the smell goes with it lol.

Back