Peugeot 106 gti starts then stops - HELP please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Son went over a pothole in his 51plate 106gti 16v , engine stopped ! He tried reset button , no luck. Car starts then cuts-out , checked most connections , cleaned all earths , looked for broken wires. Pulled fuel rail off - turn engine and you get about 3 spray's of fuel from all injectors , then stops. Fuel pressure seems ok , put thumb over return pipe! It has a 3 plug ECU , and a BROWN relay underneath. If you feed some fuel in via a small pipe into manifold , engine runs ! What is telling the ECU to stop signalling injectors?
p.s. Also put permanent 12v feed to pump, checked Crank pick-up , all fuses too. There is a 12v feed at injectors if you keep cranking , one lead on earth , thats why I thought it must be the ECU stopping the earth pulse.
Any help or advice would be great , I'am going nuts!
Mark 07798638388 anytime.

Sponsored Links
i take it you mean the inertia switch when you say press the reset?
if its a 2 wire switch have you tried linking it out to test it?

First job i did was to cut out and crimp it !

Either the ECU is not sending the earth to trigger the injectors (it does, but only 3 times then stops) , or maybe the pump pressure is low , I put my thumb over return and it made no difference , also changed the relief valve as i had a spare.
The injectors fire 3 times (all at same time) , then stops !
Could be the ECU not seeing something and stopping the engine running , had a problem once when an engine would cut-out if it didn't see oil pressure within 3 0r 4 seconds. Could be a damaged wire , connector from a sensor of some form doing the same , but WHAT????

Also , there is a metal tube, like a large cig lighter, with 3/4 wires which is cable tied to brake pipes under passenger floor , the wires go to a blue connector and then i can't trace them after that , what the feck is it ?

Just a thought , would a damaged Lamda sensor be the problem ? I.E. Doesn't register any co'2 and the engine stops fuel to stop it flooding ??

Any ideas welcome - please , my donor ,or should say son , is making my life a real pain in the wallet , this is the 4th car this year he's had now !

if you have a multimeter check the crank position sensor at its terminals for resistance, you should see 300 - 500 ohms with ignition off, if thats ok then test for signal voltage, looking for 1 - 4 volts ac (fluctuating) on cranking at the mutiplug.
I would expect a sensor signal to hold off the injectors, the relay near the ecu gives them their voltage.

Sponsored Links
Took sensor out and cleaned it , looked ok but did not test it, will do so later when i get home. What i don't understand is , if i manually feed fuel into manifold , engine runs fine , so just thought the sensor must be ok !?

But will update later this afternoon.

Cheers for the info and help.

Mark

Just wondering if the jolt has upset the immobiliser somewhere - the antenna around the ignition barrel maybe.....
A bloomin' nightmare, problems like this - maybe even a relay has jumped out of its holder in the fuse box area.
John :)

Hi John ,

Just got home so haven't had time to check the crank sensor voltage yet , but have checked all relays and fuses , not gone down the route of the immobiliser yet ! But the car opens and closes on the fob , but will take look at that.

It will be something really simple , i hope !

Just thinking , I had a CRX that would fire-up for about a second or so then die , reason = had not immobilised it after the time delay it had !!!!

Does it cut fuel off or does it cut ignition too ?

Anyone got wiring diagram of immobiliser for a 2001 106 gti 1.6 16v ??????

STILL NO JOY , INJECTORS FIRE 3 TIMES THEN STOP , IF I PUT FUEL DIRECTLY INTO MANIFOLD THE CAR RUNS OK , IDEAS , ANYONE ???????

CHECKED ALL CONNECTORS , FUSES ETC

Did you try a different key, even from another 106 to see if the problem changes?

Did you consider getting it plugged in? Some of the smaller garages will tell you the fault codes at a small cost.

Then go from there

Those 3 injection pulses may just be cold start and its not actually trying to run

At a guess, if you have fuel pressure, I'd say shaft sensor or immobiliser. but I guess the lotto and never win :)

Thanks for the post , have code reader , codes ;

0300 random misfire
0136 o2 sensor bank 1 sensor 2
0606 ecu fault

Random misfire , so !!!
The second o2 sensor is not connected.
ECU fault ????

No great help.

Leaving batt off all night , see if engine man light goes and if it clears ECU.

Have left a message with someone who is supposed to be the best auto electrician ever , hope he calls back tomoz!

Well you are going to have to reconnect the O2 sensor? With it disconnected the ECU thinks the CAT is blocked. As it sees a signal from No1 but not No2.
The ECU will have to see a good sensor in the circuit. But, wouldn’t have thought the O2 would cause a full non start.

The misfire sometimes comes up because of the 02 sensor problem (not sure why). Hopefully the ECU one is spurious as well. Secondhand O2 from a breaker, stick it in, worth a try?

If you have the fault code reader, disconnect the crankshaft sensor (don't think it has a camshaft sensor?) and see if it throws up a code, disconnected. If it doesn't it may well be faulty. If it does and then clears when you reconnect, probably ok

http://www.justanswer.com/uk-car/40c1n-peugeot-106-1-6gti-will-not-start-broke-down-couple.html

If can be hard when its your own, you have to detach yourself a bit. Hope the above helps

Thanks for that last post , food for thought.

It does have a camshaft sensor , aswell as non standard cams.

The second lamda sensor has been connected and screwed into what looks like a made for the job enclosed tube, this has been cable tied to the brake pipes and has been work ok for some time , not sure how the ECU works out the fueling though , as sensor one is connected before the cat and sensor 2 should be connected after the cat !?

Will try the disconnect sensor - test - reconnect - test idea. But I dont understand why it runs if I allow fuel into the manifold , surely this proves plugs, camshaft and crank sensor ok ?

Even tried putting a earth and live to pump , not sure which the immobiliser cuts -off.

I'am almost sure something is telling ECU theres a prob , and it's immobilising it , could be a loose cable , bad con , anything. But will try the test - disconnect idea later.

The batt has been off all night , will try that before I go out this morn !

Keep the ideas coming please.

Hi, just wondering if anyone has any advise got a peugeot 106, 1996, 1.1. that suddenly stopped working. changed battery, alternator and all the fuses, (engine and in glove box) and check the earth all working normally, but car still wont start, not either a clicking noise as if its trying, it will start when i get a jump start from another car tho.
thanks in advance for any help :D

Are the headlights working?

If so do they dim down when you go for a start?

Check the wires on the starter, especially the small one going to the solenoid.

Thanks for that last post , food for thought.

It does have a camshaft sensor , aswell as non standard cams.

The second lamda sensor has been connected and screwed into what looks like a made for the job enclosed tube, this has been cable tied to the brake pipes and has been work ok for some time , not sure how the ECU works out the fueling though , as sensor one is connected before the cat and sensor 2 should be connected after the cat !?

Will try the disconnect sensor - test - reconnect - test idea. But I dont understand why it runs if I allow fuel into the manifold , surely this proves plugs, camshaft and crank sensor ok ?

Even tried putting a earth and live to pump , not sure which the immobiliser cuts -off.

I'am almost sure something is telling ECU theres a prob , and it's immobilising it , could be a loose cable , bad con , anything. But will try the test - disconnect idea later.

The batt has been off all night , will try that before I go out this morn !

Keep the ideas coming please.

ALL sorted now , thanks , please dont ask what we did , as we have no idea !

Sponsored Links
Back