please help (pug 106 sometimes wont start after about 3 day)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i have a peugeot 106 1.1 . thanks for peoples help before. still not got it running. it runs for a few days and then third day it wont start. i have checked battery spark plugs, leads, and its not immobiliser. i have had an electrically test done but all was ok apart from could not get reading on fuel pump. i also have replaced the feul relay and am still presented with the same problem wont start after about 3 days. when you turn the key it cranks but it will only start if u can hear the click were the fuel is coming through.if u cant hear the click it just wont start but cranks.i have also checked the fuel cut of switch and that is fine. the coil is ok people keep telling me could be the ecu or fuel pump has any one got any suggestions as its caused alot of stress and money so far but is a good condition car with only just over 50000 miles on clock and has always been very reliable and good runner up till now . just dont want to give up just yet. thanks for any one that can help

Sponsored Links
I think the answer lies in your request for help. check the circuit to the fuel pump for a poor connection, starting with the fuse. You don't say what year your car is, so I can't tell you exactly which number fuse connection to check first but try No.2 or No.9 in the engine bay. If that looks ok check the earth from the pump/tank.

;)

thanks for that the car is an R reg 1997 . i have checked the fuses in the car and the only fuse i could find to do with the fuel pump was the fuel relay that lies under the ecu unit which i have replaced as the unit looked damaged. i also have had a diagnostic test done but when the car was running while on and off and that came back ok. also a vault test has been done on all fuses and ignitions and coils and main parts in engine but like i said the only reading they could not get was when it was tested on the actual fuel pump. only getting so confused we were told it was definate fuel relay but it all keeps coming back to when u turn the key there is no sound like a click to say fuel is being released and thats when it dont start roughly every 3 days.

Just a long shot here, maybe you are getting a vacuum build up in the fuel tank because the filler cap breather hole is blocked. When you take off the filler cap do you here a rush of air? If so this could be the cause. You do not say how much you run the car over the few days that you can run it and is the milage similar in each case?

Sponsored Links
According to my info (autodata). No. 9 fuse on the fuse/relay plate under the bonnet is the supply to the pump which is immersed in the fuel tank. Look for corroded or dirty connections. I think access to the pump is under the back seat. See if you can obtain a Haynes Manual for the info you will need.

;)

thanks every one for your help have checked all the fuses and they all ok do have the manual but it seems to be leading to fuel pump but the manual was saying bad fuel tank is not really the same problems as we having its saying not run propaly and over things but the car running great when it is running. also dont matter how many miles u do or how long driven for just the only thing consecative we can find is it will not work roughly every third day.still going through manual now but do appreciate all advice and help peolp are giving. thanks again

The fuel pump in your car is controlled by a fuse and a relay.....if the fuse is ok then the relay - or its plug in connectors - could well be at fault.
I've no data to tell you which relay to check, but if you contact a main Peugeot dealer they should be able to advise you where it is.
John :)

i had one of these a while back and had to give up on it !
as suggested you need to check for voltage at the fuel pump when the problem occurs.
Main problem areas i researched causing this problem were immobiliser, multi function relay under the ecu and the ecu itself.

thanks again for your replys . just to let u know already replaced the multi function relay and the fuseno 9 were fine . so again its looking like the fuel pump or the ecu. just wish i could distinguish which one as i have already payed for new key for immobiliser and relay under the ecu and other small bits . thinking back when the vaultage test was done it could not get a reading on the fuel pump but i was told it could be to do with the immobiliser so perhaps i need to try fuel pump first as i think looking at a new ecu could become expensive. i just dont want to give up on it yet as it good little car when running looks good and low mileage. i do appreciate all your help thanks again

Do tread carefully annlee - its so easy to throw parts at a car because 'it has to be that at fault' - and I'm speaking from personal experience here....!
As previously suggested, you need to know when power is being sent to the fuel pump....often you can hear a buzzing when the pump is working.
Again from experience, I find very few cars with goosed ECU's - or fuel pumps either for that matter.

thanks john im not rushing any thing yet but you talking about hearing the fuel pump kicking in thats the problem we are getting . when we here it it starts but some times there is no noise and thats when the car wont start and that roughly happens about every three days thats the bit thats confussing every one thats its happening every third day with no reason no matter how many miles u do in it.

I know exactly how you feel as I've had the same problem with a Micra.
What I did there, when I was sure there was no power getting to the fuel pump, was to lightly tap each relay in turn - and sure enough, when I tapped the faulty one the pump whirred into life.
I only wish they were all as simple as that!

thanks john know how u feel been there as well thought i had the problem solved when the car was not starting we went all through the relays and the only one that made any difference when we took it out and then put back in was the one i replaced the multi one under the ecu and it started straight away so thought we had dogey relay so bought a new one and replaced it. again third day stopped working went to relay took it out and put back in and no would not start this time. this problem has been going on for about six weeks at first thought it was fuel cut of switch took that out and by passed it and the car started but next time we tried it would not start. cars are such a nightmare :rolleyes:

test lights!!!

install a couple of 12v led lights onto the power in out and switch on the relay so you can see what it's doing, als fit one to the pushbutton fuel cut off in the engine bay, i assume your getting the ecu light on the dash?

then you will see what happens to the fuel electrics as it's turned on

for more help find me over on 106o

http://www.106owners.co.uk/forums/index.php

yes all lights are coming on even though it dont start. as i said before there is no noise when key turned to say petrol being released when it dont start but some days u here the noise and it starts,

Sponsored Links
Back