Peugeot 106 rear brakes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The cylinder on one drum has been leaking for a while and I set out to replace it and clean up the drum.

First, as I had lost my 32 mm socket I replaced the front pads and that went well.

Today, I started on the rear drums and the difficult part of getting the drum off went fine.

When I tried to take off the old cylinder I struck disaster. The two screws are Torx 35. One came out and the other was jammed solid. I tried heat and that did not work.

I decided to do what a garage would do, grind it off. That worked fine except in the limited space and shadow I nicked the metal brake pipe!!!

It seems to be a continuous length to the front.

I am guessing but I have this fear that it may not be supplied as a spare part ???

What suggestions can anyone give as to how to replace it ?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Tony, a motor factor can supply you with a 'jointer' that will prevent replacing the complete pipe - but you will need a flaring tool to create the ends. However, I don't think that it will be continuous to the front of the car as that pipe has to move up and down with the rear suspension so I reckon the steel pipe will terminate in a flexible one on the axle somewhere. Anyway, motor factors will make you up any pipe that you need, so long as you take the old one with you for them to match it.
Cheers John

... or if you haven't got a motor factor who can supply it, you'll be able to get a replacement from a Peugeot dealer for a modest price. As Burnerman says, you should find that it's just a short length leading to the flexible hose.

Bear in mind that you'll need to bend it to shape yourself: copy the original that you're taking off. A simple brake pipe bending tool will help, though you can manage without. If you don't have them, get yourself some flare nut spanners in the sizes you need; trying to undo stuck unions underneath the car with open-ended spanners is miserable.

Sponsored Links
I originally thought the pipe was a continuous length of metal tube because with bright sunlight the contrast in the shadows was dire.

Today in dull wet weather I saw that the metal is quite short and there is a flexible hose although I was unable to see what the joint was.

What is the joint betweent the 4.75 mm metal and the flexible likely to be composed from?

A call to the local Peugeot implied that there was likely to be a tube somewhere within 48 working hours although oddly to me they are more likely to have the parts in stock for later cars. I would have thought that older cars would have sold more. Perhaps thats all part of the subtle discouragement to repairing older models.

Like boilers there are less parts available for any car over 10 years old. Thats not what I found when I was young and running older cars where I found spares for older cars were still available. Oddly a friend with a 1974 Mercedes finds most parts still available now!

Tony

Back