Peugeot 2009 2.2 HDI Boxer Relays bussing, cant start.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a 2009 Peugeot 2.2 HDI Van with a starting issue that a little hard to explain but here goes. (the engine is a duratorq model, same as the transit I believe)

Van has been running fine with no problems until 4 days ago when i tried to start it first thing in the morning. The starter motor would not work. No clicking from the starter solenoid at all.
Battery was fine, 12volts, all lights working and not dimming when I was trying to start.
All fuses have been checked an seem OK including those attached to the battery.
On checking the engine fuses I could here buzzing (chattering) coming from the relays located within the engine fuse box and on checking the supply to the actual relays it showed only 7volts. The main supply to the engine fuse box was 12 volts. I have also swapped out the relays but no change.

I have check the earthing points to the engine and associated bits and all appear fine.
I am fairly remote, living in North West Scotland. There are no auto electricians close by.
Just wondering if anyone has seen this issue before or may be able to point me in the right direction to diagnose the fault.

Thanks,
Matt

Sponsored Links
I would agree, check the battery connections and the other end of the earth lead which will be bolted to the body, starter or engine.

Peter

Sponsored Links
Thank for your suggestions. I have checked the battery connections and have done a drop test (load test) on the battery and also at the jump lead connections under the bonnet (the battery is located under the floor inside the cabin). I have also check the connections at both the alternator and starter motor. Battery is good. Just to be sure I have tried it with another charged battery.

Maybe a broken or shorted lead. It seems like the relays are getting power via a resistance, say a sensor or lamp, etc. I'll keep trying the trace it.

Not cranking i would work backwards from the starter solenoid cable, worth checking for voltage here first then go back.
Hard to find wiring diagrams these days but identify if it has a start relay and check voltage here at coil terminals to see if its actually being triggered.

Back