Peugeot 206 rear drum brake removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

On my Peugeot 206, the rear drums are impossible to remove! I'm trying to see if the brake shoes need replacing but want to do it at home. I've tried pulling them off, tapping round the edge with a mallet but to no avail.

If anyone has any handy tips they would be greatly received!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Obviously you have removed the central dust cover and big nut beneath.... :p
The problem with these is that the stub axle rusts to the centre part of the wheel bearing....a squirt of WD40 does no harm there.
Then, whack around the drum circumference and it should start to budge....failing that, Machine Mart puller Clarke CHT240 is the boy.
You may also find a rust lip inside the drum once its off....this is best ground away with a die grinder.
John :)

Have you made sure the handbrake cable is backed off also? The shoes self adjust and sit just off the face of the drum. you can do this inside the car in the panel behind the handbrake.

you may also have an observation hole in the back of the drum where you can back of the adjuster nut. My 206 didn't have this, but I managed to get the clearance I needed when the handbrake was backed off.

Sponsored Links
I am so annoyed by the designs with no auto back off.

With a good lip on the drum it becomes almost impossible to get the drums off whole!

Tony

Back