Peugeot 306 - engine cut outs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So my x reg 2000, 1.4 petrol 306 engine cuts out randomly while im driving normally. I have no idea why but it's happening a lot and i lose power steering etc. Here are a couple of pics of what i found inside, and taped up to see, no result though..

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/5219/28032010253.jpg

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/4622/28032010254.jpg

not only that but when i set out on a test run this morning my fuel warning light came on. after cutting out and immediately restarting the engine, my fuel level rose to almost a quarter? confusing haha !

Sponsored Links
Ye gods where do we start?
The first pic shows a disconnected engine breather - this won't cause your problems but it could interfere with the idle speed.
The other pic shows a multitude of dirty wiring connections, especially those towards the rear of the engine. Your problem is more than likely to be electrical...as soon as you lose power then the PAS goes too - I assume the red and orange lights come on on the dash.
I think you have to disconnect all of the connections to those relays in turn, and spray them generously with contact cleaner. Allso, any connections to the bodyshell (called earths) need to be taken apart, cleaned and reassembled. You could have a fair old task here.....
You should also check the connection on the steering column where the ignition switch plugs into the wiring loom. It won't be dirty here but it could be loose.
John :)

Awesome :) I'm gonna get hold of some cleaner. Yeah, the orange and red and STOP lights come on on my dash. Don't suppose you know where to get a diagram of wiring from? or is it a Haynes manual job xD much thanks though best reponse yet. One other thing... my disptick is registering about 3x the max amount of oil :/

I've not really got much time for the Haynes manuals - especially the electrical section....! They are better than nothing though.
Anyway, just clean up as many connections as you can.
You need to get that oil level down though, as it will eventually be pumped out of the breathers into the throttle body and air cleaner. In fact its worth having a look at these as soon as you can.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I've cleaned majority of the connections I can find (until rain beat me) still cuts. And I've noticed that there is oil in and around that disconnected pipe. Is it worth checking the air filter and will it clean itself out once the oil level drops? Many thanks again

There will always be residual oil around these pipe ends - even when the car is newish. Once the air filter is contaminated it can't be cleaned, only replaced - but they are cheap enough.
I've got a device that sucks oil out of the dipstick hole, but in your case you'll have to remove the sump plug and drain the whole lot away - unless you can sweet talk a garage to do it for you!
If you can get hold of any wiring diagrams, the fuel pump supply, via its relay and fuses - is the one to go for, together with the coil pack wiring that sits on the top of the engine.

That box with the multiplug connectors behind the battery is the ECU AFAIK & it should have a cover over the top - maybe you got water/muck in there?

I'd try to procure another cover from a scrappy after cleaning all the connectors up.

The first picture shows that the tamper seal is missing from the idle speed adjuster. This adjustment is factory set, then sealed. The idling is then controlled by the E.C.U. There are electrical contacts in the throttle housing, and if these have been upset by somebody messing with the idle screw, then the E.C.U will be getting the wrong information. This may or not be the cause of your problem, but it certainly won't be helping.

i had the same problem with my 206 1.4 glx and it turned out to be a wire behind the dashboard earthing. It made the dials and controls go exactly the same as yours so took it to a garage and 150 quid later the problem was solved so your best bet would be to take it to an auto electrician as the wiring is complicated behind there, and you could also run the risk of just burning out the whole wiring and the ecu which the kind mechanic informed me of

Sponsored Links
Back